10th English : Empowered Women Navigating The World
Unit 3.1 > Empowered Women Navigating The World
|circumnavigate (v)||to travel all the way around something, especially the earth||கப்பலில் உலகைச் சுற்றி வருதல் (சுற்றுப்பிரயானம் செய்)|
|indigenously (adv.)||naturally; innately; inherently||இயற்கையாகவே, இயல்பாகவே|
|consonance (n)||agreement or compatibility between opinions or actions||இசைவு, ஒற்றுமை|
|skippered (v)||to act as a master or captain of a vessel especially a small boat||கப்பல் தலைவன்|
|expedition (n)||a journey or voyage made for some specific purpose, such as of war or exploration||குறிக்கோளோடு கூடி துணிகரமான பயணம்|
|replenishment (n)||restoration of a stock or supply to a former level or condition||முன்னாள் நிலை அல்லது நிபந்தனைக்கு ஒரு பங்கு அல்லது விநியோகத்தை மீட்டல்|
|apprehensive (adj.)||anxious or fearful that something bad or unpleasant will happen||கவலை அல்லது பயம் நிறைந்த ஏதேனும் கெட்டது அல்லது விரும்பத்தகாதது நடக்கும்|
|contention (n)||strenuous effort; struggling together in opposition||கடுமையான முயற்சி|
|auxiliary (adj.)||additional; used as a reserve or substitute in case of need||தேவைக்குப் பதிலாக அல்லது மாற்றாக பயன்படுத்தப்படுகிறது|
|anticipate (v)||to foresee; to realize beforehand; to expect; be sure of||முந்திக்கொள், எதிர்நோக்கு|
|bio-luminescence (n)||the production of light by living organisms||உயிர் – ஒளிர்வு|
|golgappas (n)||the other term for pani puri||பாணிப்பூரி|
|morale (n)||emotional or mental condition with respect to confidence especially in the face of hardships||ஊக்க உணர்வு, மனத்திண்மை|
A. Read the statements given below and state whether they are true or false. If false, then write the correct answer in the space given.
1. Indian Navy’s all-women crew was the first-ever to circumnavigate the globe. (True)
2. The crew consists of six members of men and women Indian Navy service. (False)
The crew consists of six members of women Indian Nave Service.
3. Vartika Joshi skippered the crew to circumnavigate the globe. (True)
4. The crew started their expedition on 10 July 2017 from Mumbai. (False)
The crew started their expedition on September. 2017 from Goa
5. Dilip Donde was the first person to go on a non-stop solo circumnavigation. (True)
B. Answer the following questions briefly.
1. Mention the special features of INSV Tarini.
The special feature of lNSU sailboat was that it encouraged use of environment Friendly non-conventienal renewable energy resources such as the wind. Collected and updated meteorological, ocean and wave data on regular basis for accurate weather forecast by lndian Meteological Department (IMD) and also collected data for monitoring marine pollution on high seas.
2. What does the term circumnavigation mean?
The term circumnavigation means to sail or fly around and make the circuit of navigation.
3. How did the all-women Indian Navy crew go about their voyage?
Indian Navy’s all – women crew was the first – ever to cricumnavigate the gate skippered by L.t.Commander vartika Joshi. The all – women team hand also L.t. Aishwarya Boddapati, L.t. Sn. vijaya Devi and L.t. Payal Gupta as its crew members. They went aroun the world in 254 days.
4. When did the crew start their voyage? When did they return back to India? How many days did it take to complete the expedition?
The crew started their voyage on 10th September, 2017 from Goa, flagged off by the Defence Minister of India. The crew went around the globe within 254days and reached goa on 21st May, 2018
5. What sort of training did the crew undergo before their expedition?
They started some theoretical courses on navigation, communication and weather prediction. The crew were given hand on training like to repair thing and how to deal with emergencies when the weather got rough. Training were also given for medical emergency.
6. How did the crew members work as a team to make their expedition successful?
Teamwork was the most important criteria when they were out at sea. During the storm, when three people were at work other there took rest. Somebody heated the water, the other person would heated the gloves because it was raining also. So tam effort actually helped in navigating through the 20hours long storm.
7. What challenging tasks did the team face during their voyage?
In the Pacific, they encountered a storm where the seas were almost nine to ten meters high and the winds were picking upto 60-70 knots, which is about a hurricane force of wind on land. It was also a blissful experience when something broke down. After a lot of hard work they were able to fix it together.
8. What sort of activities did the crew engage in during their long voyage?
They were always entertained. They watched movies, listened to music, read comics and the Ramayana during their journey. Swathi loved cooking and baking and also liked crafting a lot, so she used to make lampshades. They make lampshades. They made parathas, baked cakes and breads and even made halwa and rasgullas.
9. Mention the celebrations which the crew enjoyed during their expeditions.
They celebrated festivals at sea like Diwali. They celebrated three birthdays includign the first birthday of the boat. They also celebrated specific occasions like crossing the equator, the International Date line and such.
10. Which factor motivated the crew to undertake this expedition?
The celebrated festivals at sea like Diwali. They celebrated three birthdays including the first birthday of the boat. They also celebrated specific occasions like the equator, the International Data line and such
C. Answer the following in about 100–150 words:
1. Highlight the factors responsible for the all-women Indian Navy crew to carry out their expedition.
|‘The factors responsible for the all-women Indian Navy was to carry out their expedition:|
The real power of women though realized earlier, currently being projected to the world by the advancement of technology and media. There is no field left untouched by them: One such achievement is the All-women Indian Navy crew who circumnavigated. The voyage was aimed to showcase ‘Make in India’ initiative by sailing on-board indigenously built INSY Tarini:
None of them was acquainted with a sail boat or ocean-going boat, none of them had sailed before, nor were woman officers allowed entry in combat platforms as yet. This became the major factor to carry out their expedition. At first, it was difficult to take the boat out to sea, from one point to another. But they slowly built upon it through 3 years of training.
Their crew was the first Indian all-women crew circumnavigating through the globe, The Indian Navy’s all-women crew was the first —ever to. circumnavigate skippered by its Commander Vantika Joshi, The words of Chief of the Naval Stall, Admiral Sunil Lanba,
“The project is considered essential towards promoting ocean sailing activities in the Navy while depicting Government of India’s thrust for Nari shakti™.
inspired them to come out with. this expedition, Moreover the people outside the country were eagerly waiting for their journey to be successful which inspired them a lot INSV Tarini has advance Raymarine navigation suite and an array of satellite communication systems for perfect navigation anywhere in the world; To prove women empowerment the six women carried out this expedition whole – heartedly:
2. Write in detail about the selection and training process which the crew underwent.
|None of the crew members was acquainted with a sail boat or ocean-going boat. At first, it was difficult for them to take the boat out to sea, from one point to another. But they slowly built upon et through three years of training. They started with some theoretical courses on navigation, communication and weather prediction, Classroom courses were different from sailing outside, So they were given training like how to repair things, how te deal with emergencies and how to tackle medical emergency.|
They underwent basic sail training courses in Mumbai at the Indian Naval Waterman Ship Training Centre and at various Schools in the southern naval base in Kochi, ‘They even sailed on INSV Mhadei to Mauritius and back to Cape Town in December 2016, They were almost trained for three years to prepare for the voyage. Since the boat was old, it had minor leaks and repairs. Also they ran out of water and food, the trip was a tutorial for them to manage, water and even electricity during the big voyage,
Out of the thirty women who had applied six of them were shortlisted for the voyage based on the little
A. Pick out the idioms and phrases from the box and write them in the blanks equivalent to their meanings. One is done for you.
|find one’s voice||lend an ear||sharp as a tack||over the moon|
|on the ball||bring it on||come across||get along|
|hang on||work out|
|1. Competent – on the ball||1. to meet or find by chance – hang on|
|2. Become more confident in expressing oneself – find one’s voice||2. to exercise – work out|
|3. Extremely happy – over the moon||3. To accept a challenge with confidence – bring it on|
|4. Mentally agile – sharp as a tack||4. To have a friendly relationship – get along|
|5. Listen – lend an ear||5. To keep something – come across|
B. Read the given sentences carefully and fill in with appropriate phrasal verbs. Choose them from the help box.
|get along with||take off||shut down||look after||warm up|
- The airhostess instructed the passengers to wear the seat belts during the take off
- Venkat felt happy to look after the neighbours in the new locality
- There will be a shut down next week in the office.
- Doing warm up every day in the morning keeps one healthy.
- The mother instructed the maid to get along with the child carefully
C. Read the given passage carefully and fill in the blanks with suitable phrasal verbs from the help box.
|burn off||keep up||build up||tire out|
|warms up||put on||work out||stretch out|
Riya is a young dancer who feels contented and satisfied with herself. Let’s hear from her.
Hi, everyone! I am Riya. I suppose I’m really lucky because I don’t put on weight easily. I never work out in the gym and the only time I tire out is when I need something from the top shelf. I tried aerobics several times but I couldn’t keep up
with the others. I take my pet for a walk thrice a day though, and that helps to burn off the calories. I usually watch what I eat but I sometimes binge on icecream.
My sister Diya, is a real fitness fanatic. Before she works out she warms up every day with push ups, sit ups, stretches and a jog around the park. She says it’s important to build up good levels of strength and stamina. I don’t want to overdo it though. A fitness regime like hers would keep up me stretch out!
A. Listen to the passage read by the teacher and say whether the given statement is true or false.
- Preethi Srinivasan is a former cricketer from Tamil Nadu. (True)
- At the age of seventeen, she captained the Indian Women’s cricket team. (True)
- Preethi Srinivasan was not only a cricketer but also a runner. (False)
- Preethi’s own trauma inspired her to create SoulFree, a foundation for those suffering from mental illness. (False)
- Preethi received the Kalpana Chawla Award for Courage and Daring Enterprise. (True)
A. Read the data below and answer the following questions.
Choose the correct answer.
1. What is the data about?
- women empowerment
- women power
- women at work
- women at home
Ans : women at work
2. Identify the three jobs where the same percentage of women work
3. In which field of work is women’s involvement the second highest?
- Logistics stores
- Home maker
- Administration/Human resource
Ans : Administration/Human resource
4. Percentage of women working in finance is the same as .
- Home maker
- Information Technology
- Technical Field
- Administration/Human Resources
Ans : Administration/Human Resources
5. What is the difference between the percentage of women working in logistics and Medicine?
Ans : 5
A. Read the given slogans and match them appropriately with their theme.
|A) One for all and all for one||Junk food|
|B) Limit your fast food otherwise it would be your last food||Save water|
|C) Restricting a woman restricts the growth of the family||Cleanliness|
|D) Clean and green makes perfect scene||Woman empowerment|
|E) It takes a lot of blue to stay green||Unity|
Ans : A-5, B-1, C-4, D-3, E-2
A. Complete the sentences in present tense forms.
- Saravanan always goes (go) for a walk in the morning.
- We have gathered (gather) here for a meeting and the chair person is yet to arrive.
- Arun have been eagerly waiting (wait) to meet her friend since morning.
- Sheeba moves (move) to a new house next week.
- Naseera attends (attend) music classes regularly.
- Ilakiya and Adhira enjoy (enjoy) each other’s company very much.
- Mani has been working (work) in this school for five years.
- It is pouring (pour) outside now.
B. Complete the sentences in past tense forms.
- I went (go) to her place on foot.
- The children were playing (play) in the ground when the teacher arrived.
- They were requesting (request) him when the manager arrived.
- If you had worked (work) hard, you would have won the relay match
- Joanna and Joy had already left (leave) for Ooty, when the others reached the station.
- We all sang (sing) in the choir last week.
- Nancy was always asking (ask) for help.
- The office goers waited (wait) for the train.
C. Fill in the blanks using the verbs in the brackets in the future form.
- We shall not go to the market, in case it rains. (go)
- Keerthi will be doing his work by next week.(do)
- The peon will be ringing the bell by the time I reach the school.(ring)
- I shall be visiting my sister’s house next April if I go to Uttarkhand. (visit)
- If you listen carefully, you will understand my point. (understand)
- By next year, I shall have been living in Chennai for fifteen years. (live)
- The new edition of this book will come out shortly. (come)
- She hopes you will help her. (help)
D. Underline the verbs and identify the tense forms.
- I am working hard day and night. – Present continuous tense
- The Moon revolves around the Earth. – Simple present tense
- Were the milk men milking the cow? – Past continuous tense
- He received your messages last night. – Simple past tense
- I have been ill for a couple of days. – Present perfect tense
E. In the following passage, some words are missing. Choose the correct words from the given options to complete the passage.
|a||will be born||is born||born||has born|
|b||school-going||going to school||school coming||school gone|
|c||working||works||had worked||will work|
|d||drawn||had drawn||drawing||having drawn|
|f||was starting||starting||started||is starting|
|h||will become||becomes||would become||will be becoming|
Raghav (a) is born in a middle class family. He is a (b) school-going boy of 8. His mother (c) works as a software engineer in an MNC. (d) drawing is his favourite hobby. He (e) won the first prize in school level competition for drawing last week. He (f) started drawing at the age of 3. His mother (g) hoped he (h) will become a great painter in future.
F. The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in the tense of the verb in each line. Write the wrong word as well as the correct word in the given place. One is done for you.
|Sentence||Wrong words||Correct words|
|When Anand reach Arun’s place, his||reach||reached|
|friends have arrived already. Arun||have arrived||had arrived|
|introduces Anand to them. Arun’s brother||introduces||introduced|
|buy some snacks from the market.||buy||had bought|
|Arun serving it to all his friends. Then||serving||was serving|
|they all sat together to planning their holidays.||planning||plan|
|Arun have a cottage in Ooty, so||have||had|
|they all plan to go to Ooty during the holidays.||plan||planned|
|“Would we have a good time?, asked Arun.||would||should|
|They all cheerfully say, “Yes!”||say||said|
G. Read the story and rewrite it using the simple past tense.
|Juno the elephant is lonely and tries to make friends with the other animals in the forest. But, the other animals refuse to play with Juno because of his size. One day, all the animals are running away from Dera the tiger who is eating everyone he finds. Juno goes and gives Dera a swift kick. Dera immediately runs away. Juno is now everyone’s friend.|
H. Read the situations given and frame two suitable sentences in the appropriate form of the tenses.
1. Give two instructions to your classmates.
- Switch off the lights and fans whenever you leave the class.
- You should submit the noteworks before this evening.
2. Mention any two of your discontinued habits in the correct tense form.
- I used to bite my nails when I was 5 years old.
- Every morning, I used to go to temple.
3. Make any two requests to your classmates or friends.
- Will you please lend me your book?
- I request you to guide me in doing Maths.
4. Mention any of your two dreams in the correct tense form
- My dream is to educate the poor.
- The only dream in my life is to serve the people in the society.
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்