10th English : The Bloomers
Unit 5.1 > The Bloomers
|grapple (v)||to fight, especially in order to win something||கெட்டியாக பிடி, பற்று, சமாளி|
|cerebral palsy (n)||permanent tightening of the muscles caused by damage to the brain||பெருமூளை வாதம்|
|Dragon Dictate (n)||a software which recognizes speech and converts it to text||உரையை அங்கீகரித்து மென்பொருளை தரும் கருவி|
|assistive technologist (n)||a person who assists with technological gadgets to overcome disability||உதவி தொழில்நுட்பர்|
|gaze (v)||stare at something for a long time||கருத்தூன்றிய பார்வை|
|Liberator Communication Device (n)||a special device used to communicate with eye movements||கண் இயக்கங்களுடன் தொடர்பு கொள்ள ஒரு சிறப்பு சாதனம்|
|inclusion (n)||the act of including someone or something||உள் அடக்குதல்|
|cloister (adj)||enclosed by||இணைக்கப்பட்டது|
|collaborative process (adj)||produced by or involving two or more parties working together||இரண்டு அல்லது அதற்கு மேற்பட்ட கட்சிகளுடன் சேரந்து வேலை செய்வது அல்லது ஒன்றிணைத்தல்|
A. Answer the following questions in two or three sentences.
1. What are the benefits of the internet to the common man?
The internet is one of the greatest creations and gives everyone in the world with internet access to an endless supply of knowledge and entertainment. Internet allows you to learn about almost any topic or question you may have. Using a search engine like google, you can ask virtually any question ard find an answer to that question.
2. Do you think technology has improved communication? How?
No, Technology has made people lazy to communicate and play with their friends and relatives.
3. How does David operate computers with the Liberator Communication Device?
For verbal communication, David uses a Liberator Communication Devices, which he controls with his eve movements. [t has a Bluetooth adaptor, so it lets him use any PC or Mac by sending commands through the Liberator.
4. Which devices are controlled using ACTIV controller?
He has an ACTIV controller also in the headrest of his chair, which means using ACTIV controller he is able to control devices such as TY, Blu-Ray and music players.
5, Who says these words: “I want everyone to know the difference technology has made in my life”?
Alisha utters these words: “I want everyone to know the difference technology has made in my life.”
6, Which software helps Alisha to overcome her difficulty in typing?
Dragon Dictate is the software which helps Alisha to overcome her difficulty in typing.
7. Name a few Indian innovations which are helpful to the disabled and make their day to day life easier.
Lechal Shoes, Blee Watch, (GEST are a few Indian innovations which are helpful to the disabled and make their day-to-day life easier.
&. Is it possible to control the computer screen with eye gaze?
Yes, it is possible to control the computer screen with eye gaze,
9, Suggest ways of making our society inclusive.
Ways of making our society inclusive:-
- Create inclusive classrooms
- Design accessible communities
- Increase disability representation and leadership in media, politics and business.
- Actively engage with your community members with disabilities.
10. How would you help the people with disabilities in your neighborhood?
Newer technology allows differently-abled learners to learn with their peers as well as contribute fruitfully to the collaborative process of learning, I will motivate them with this collaborative process of learning.
C. Answer each of the following questions in a paragraph of about 100-150 words.
1, How do we use technology in our day to day lives?
|Today, technology is very important because it is used for almost everything and everywhere. In the present world, people cannot live without technologies such as televisions, mobile phones, computers and others. These technologies have slowly taken an essential part in people’s day – to – day lives and being without them would be unimaginable for some of us
The invention of the computer has enhanced and companies can communicate more easily with foreign counties, Technology has also increased the productivity of almost every industry in the world. When observed more closely, new things are discovered everyday. Let’s take for instance when radio waves were discovered, radio broadcasts followed suit almost immediately. The same applies to the television and electricity. In the modem industrial world, machines carry out most of the agricultural and industrial work and as a result, workers produce much more goods than a century ago, Technology impacts the environment, people and society as a whole. The way we use technology determines whether its impacts are positive to the society or negative.
2. “Technology is a boon to the disabled”, Justify.
|“Saving technology is a boon may seem like a cliche but just ask a person with @ disability”, says Amil Bagwe.
Technology is a boon to all the disabled people. Assistive technology is designed to help people with disabilities with their daily tasks in a huge and untapped market in India. This can be clearly shown from the lesson through Alisha and David’s life. Their life has changed with the use of technology.
Alisha says that she wants everyone to know the difference technology has made in her life. She has cerebral palsy and she can’t physically type as fast as she thinks. Kim who is the Assistive Technologist at her school introduced her ta Dragon Dictate and it has opened up the world to her. According to David, “Technology is very important because it enables him to communicate and be
C. Pick out the contractions from the lesson and expand them.
|We’d||We could, had|
D. Expand the following abbreviations of acronyms:
- SIM – Subscriber Identity Module|
- 1SRO – Indian Space Research Organisation
- WHO – Word Health Organisation
- CCTV – Closed Circuit Television
- HDMI – High – Definition Multimedia Interface
- LASER – Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
- MRI ~ Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- CRY “ Child Rights and You / Cryogenics / Cardiac Risk
- RAM – Random Access Memory
- ROM – Read Only Memory
- CPU – Central Processing Unit
- ALU – Arithmetic Logic Unit
E. Complete the sentences with the correct abbreviations or acronyms from the given list.
- My dad wakes up very early in the morning because he has to be at work at 6.00 a.m.
- Socrates, the famous Classical Greek Athenian philosopher, died in 399 BCE.
- Leonardo Da Vinci was a famous Italian polymath, a painter, a sculptor, an architect, a musician, a scientist etc.
- I usually return home from work at 10.30 p.m..
- John downloaded a clip from YouTube in HD quality.
- There are many irregular verbs in the English language, e.g break, do, make.
- I’m watching a great football match, Barcelona vs Real Madrid.
- Humans who dive without protection can survive 300m under water.
- A 11-year-old girl just beat Einstein on an IQ test.
- We used the GPS facility to track the location
F. Listen to the passage and state whether the statements are true (T), false (F) or no information (N)?
- Santhiya can’t live without her mobile phone. (T)
- She got her mobile in January. (N)
- Her parents bought her the mobile phone one year ago. (F)
- There’s a calculator in her mobile. (T)
- She can connect to the Internet on her mobile. (T)
- She usually listens to music on her mobile. (N)
- he can’t read emails on her mobile. (N)
- There are often a lot of problems with mobile phones. (N)
- Santhiya always talks on her mobile to her friends. (F)
- She doesn’t like mobile phones. (F)
G. Listen to the passage again and answer the questions.
1 Where does Santhiya keep her mobile? …………………………..
Santhiya keeps her mobile in her mobile
2 What can she use it for? …………………………..
She uses it for calculating
3 When was she cycling? …………………………..
She was cycling during holiday last year
4 What happened there? …………………………..
Her friend fell off her bike and broke her leg.
5 How did Santhiya solve the problem? …………………………..
She called the doctor through her phone.
H. Complete the sentences after reading the passage.
- Santhiya’s parents and friends can always call her.
- Her mobile phone is also a kind of information file.
- On the cycling holiday after the accident Santhiya phoned for help.
- Mobile phones often ring at the wrong moment.
- Children can feel safe when they have their mobile phones with them.
J. Read the comic strip and answer the following questions.
1. What do you mean by cyber safety?
Cyber safety is the safe and responsible use of Information and Communication Technologies.
2. How do you behave in a virtual platform?
We have to respect the values of others and sentiments as a pant of global network.
3. Can we read and access the information.05 free of cost?
No, we cannot read and access the information free of cost.
4. Do you think that all the information online can be used without any permission?
No, we cannot use all the information online without any permission.
5. Which website do you often access? Why?
Wikipedia because the website provides lots of information required.
K. Fill in the missing words in tits email.
In response to your mail, I have prepared a schedule for the Science Fest, Please find out the date for your kind perusal. | look forward to hearing from you.
L. Write an email to your teacher about the interesting English model that you fave prepared for the literary fest
for the literary fest. | believe that the English model would be upto your level. Please find the schedule for your kind perusal. I look forward to hearing from you.
M. Practice exercise
You are the receptionist of your school, Your Head master instructs you to send a message to all the parents of class ten to attend a PTA (Parent Teacher Association} meeting which is to be held on
22 December 20xx
Our Headmaster has asked to inform you about the PTA (Parent Teacher Association) meet of class tenth which is to be held on 22/12/’xx. Parents are requested to attend the meeting without fail. If you aré unable to attend the meeting please inform to the class teacher as early as possible, The meeting will be held around 9.00 a.m to 12.00 p.m at our school campus.
Govt, Hr.Sec. school, Erode,
1. Write the words that can replace Ravi, Rani, woman, luggage and the dog when we use them for the second and subsequent times in the passage he, She, it and her
2. These words are called Pronouns.
B. Fill in the gaps with personal pronouns.
Kumaravel lives in Thiruvannamalai. He is a doctor. All the people like Av because of his helping nature. His hospital is located at Car street and most of his patients are poor so he does not charge much money. His daughter goes to school. She studies in 5th Standard. Her teachers love her very much. Her friends are also very good. They always encourage her. They have given her good advice. Her mother is also a teacher. She always encourage her to keep studying. I also like her as she often comes to my house. One day she told my mother that she wants to learn cooking. My mother taught her cooking, Now, she cooks well.
C. Fill in the gaps with appropriate Pronouns.
- It is an excellent opportunity.
- One of these two students can solve this question.
- These books have been written by a great Indian writer.
- They have come to know the truth.
- All of the students have passed the exam.
- One of your friends can guide you.
- This is your story based on your real life.
- All your friends will guide you
- Anyone of his family members would come to visit you.
- Each of those books wall be helpful to vow.
- This is your bag, you can take it anytime.
- He only is responsible for the downfall of his life.
D, Join the sentences sing ‘Relative Pronouns’,
1. I have a book, It is written by Rabindranath Tagore.
I have a book which is written by Rabindranath Tagore.
2. Kavita is my teacher. She teaches us English.
Kavita who teaches us English is my teacher.
3. This is Vanin. His father is an architect.
This is Varun, whose father is an architect.
4, She invited most of her friends, They attended the party,
Most of her friends whom she invited, attended the party.
5. Give me a pen to write a letter, It was gifted to you on your birthday,
Give me a pen to write a letter which was gifted to you on your birthday.
6. I have sold the house. It was located at the bank of a river.
I have sold the house which was located at the bank of a river.
7. Here is your watch. It has been found in the garden.
Here is your watch which has been found in the garden.
E. Read the different verb forms where they remain the same fn the direct and indirect speech in the following cases. Fill in the blanks with missing indirect speech.
i) If the reporting verb is in the present tense.
1. I am enjoying my holiday.
Krish says that he is enjoying this holiday.
2. I will never go to work:
Kavi says that she will never go to work.
ii) Wheo we report a universal truth (something that is always truc)
1. Asia is the largest continent.
Balu said that Asia is the largest continent,
2. People in Africa are starving.
Alisha said that people in Africa are starving,
iii) With modal verbs would, might, could, should, ought to, used to.
1. might come.
Shalini said that she might come.
2. I would try it.
Vinoth said that he would try it.
iv) With would rather, had better
1. would rather fly.
Chitti said that he would rather fly.
2. They had better go.
Sophia said that they had better go.
V) In if – clauses and time – clauses
1. If tidied my mom, my dad would be happy.
Sriam said that if he tidied his room, his dad would be happy
2. When I was staying in Madurai oct my best friend.
Jaheer said that when he had been staying in Madurai, he had met his best friend.
vi) We do not usually change the modal verbs must and needn’t. But must can become had to or would have to and needn’t can become didn’t have to or wouldn’t have to if we want to express an obligation. Would / wouldn’t have to are used to talk about future obligations.
1. I must wash up.
She said that she must wash up / she had to wash up.
2. We must do it in June.
He said that they had todo it in June.
F. Read the following dialogue and report it,
Johnson asked Suganthi what she was doing there. And he said that he hadn’t seen her since June. Suganthi explained that he had just come back from her holiday in Ooty, Johnson wondered if she had enjoyed it. Suganthi told him that she loved Ooty and that the people have been so friendly. Johnson wanted to know if she went to the Coakers Walk. Suganthi said that it was her first trip and
that she could show him some pictures, And then she asked him if he was doing anything the next day Johnson explained that he has to arrange a couple of things. But he added that he was free at night. Suganthi suggested that he might come to her place and asked him at what time should they meet there
Johnson said he would be there at eight, And finally he asked her if it was all right.
G. Tick the right choice (Indirect Speech).
|Direct speech||Indirect speech|
|1. “Who took my English book?”He was curious to know who…||
|Ans : had taken his English book.|
|2. “Where does Helen live?”
Jim wants to know where…
|Ans : Helen lived|
|3. Why do volcanoes erupt!”
She wondered why…
|Ans : volcanoes erupted.|
|4. “Do you know why she is unhappy?”
He asked me if ….. unhappy
|Ans : I knew why she was|
|5. “How many photos have you got?”
He wants to know how many…
|Ans : photos Thad got,|
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்