Lesson.1.1> Affection – Appa
My Little Pictionary
|Whirled (v)||to spin or rotate rapidly|
|Wipe (v)||clean or dry something by rubbing with a cloth, a piece of paper or one’s hand|
|Tumbled (v)||to fall|
|Scream (v)||to speak loudly with strong emotions|
|grab (v)||hold or catch|
- receded – go or move back
- massive – large or heavy
- whirled – to move rapidly round and round
- banged – to strike forcefully and noisily
- fainted – to lose consciousness
- rehabilitation – the action of restoring someone after a damage
- blankly – without expression
- gradually – slowly
- familiar – known
- stare – look at strongly
Let Us Understand
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. Meena’s village was hit by waves on a ________.
Ans : pleasant Sunday
2. Meena was transferred to a ________.
Ans : rehabilitation center
3. The official’s family visited the rehabilitation center for _______ years.
Ans : three
4. The official and his wife liked ________.
Ans : Meena
5. Meena studies in ________ standard.
Ans : twelfth
B. Read the statements and write true or false.
1. Meena’s father was a fisher man.
Ans : True
2. People ran off when the seawater receded.
Ans : False
3. Three waves hit the village.
Ans : False
4. The official visited the rehabilitation center daily.
Ans : False
5. The official was transferred to another district.
Ans : True
C. Answer the following questions.
1. Where is Keeraikuppam located?
Keeraikuppam is located near nagapattinam
2. What were the people excited about?
The people were excited to see the receding sea water and a huge wave raising high in the sea.
3. Which disaster had hit the village?
Tsunami had hit the village.
4. Who showed love and care to the children ?
A kind hearted official of the rehabilitation centre and his wife showed love and care to the children
5. Why did Meena call the official ‘Appa’? Do you think we need to be a family to care for others?
Meena called him ‘Appa’ because he was very affectionate towards her. He often carried Meena while they played with other children. Yes, we need to be a family to care for others.
Answer the following questions.
1. How did the sea water behave?
The sea water gradually gained hight and like a dark cloud it moved towards the shore.
2. What did the sea water do after entering the village?
The sea water entered the village and washed out the huts and boats.
3. How often did the official’s family visit the centre?
The official’s family visited the centre once in a year for five years.
Let Us Build
Let us look at the picture below.
Can we eat grandpa?
|Ramu||“Hey are you going to eat grandpa?”|
|Somu||“Haha. No, I am asking if we can eat.”|
|Ramu||“Then, you should add the correct punctuation. It should be “Can we eat, grandpa?|
|Ramu||“Punctuation plays an important role to help us understand the sentences.”|
Let us learn some punctuations.
Rewrite the sentences with punctuation marks.
1. where is my cat
Where is my cat?
2. jain ate an apple
Jain ate an apple
3. the book is on the table
The book is on the table.
4. ravi wants book pen and pencil
Ravi wants book, pen and pencil.
5. do you play football
Do you play football?
6. my favourite colour is blue
My favourite colour is blue.
7. leema is a good singer
Leema is a good singer.
8. do you like pet animals
Do you like pet animals?
9. he likes shirt pants and shorts
He likes shirt, pants and shorts.
10. how are you
How are you?
Some Useful Pages