Lesson.1.1> Hospitality – The Gift
My Little Pictionary
|Gruel (n) : thin, watery porridge.|
|Guest (n) : the person who is invited to a function or to stay at one’s house|
|Twig (n) : small, thin branch of a tree or bush.|
|Disguise (v) : to change the appearance to hide identity|
|Shadow (n) : the dark area, seen under an object in light.|
- shrank – an adverse reaction
- feeble – weak
- denied – refused
- shabby – worn out
- reluctant – hesitant
- persuaded – convinced
- display – show
- harsh – rude
- slammed – banged
- irritate – annoy
- deny – reject
- woke – getup
- acquainted – know someone
- reveal – show
Let Us Understand
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. The rich man ______ at the beggar.
Ans : shouted
2. A man in ______ clothes stopped near him.
Ans : shabby
3. The hut was very ______.
Ans : small
4. Kaliyan worked in a ______.
Ans : farm
5. The old man helped ______ and ______.
Ans : the poor / the needy.
B. Match the following
|1. garden||a. very small|
|2. trash can||b. hungry and tired|
|3. old man||c. well maintained|
|4. hut||d. earthen pot|
|5. gruel –||e. wasted food|
|Ans : 1 – c, 2 – e, 3 – b, 4 – a, 5 -d|
C. Answer the following questions.
1. How did the rich man maintain his house?
The old man disguised himself as a begger.
2. Where was the old man sleeping?
The rich man maintained his house in such a way that it displayed richness.
3. What was the dish served to the old man?
The old man was sleeping under a tree.
4. Why did the old man need someone?
The dish that was served to the old man was gruel.
5. How did the old man disguise himself?
The old man needed some one because his wife and son had died two years back. He wanted someone to continue his service.
1. What was the reaction of the rich man?
The rich man got angry and shouted at the beggar.
2. How was the hut?
The hut was very small and barely enough for the family.
3. Was the old man content at the end?
Yes, the old man was content at the end.
D. Try your own.
E. Speak and win.
Join in any group. Pick and support or oppose any one of the characters. Say some sentences for the one you support and say some sentences against the other one, to win.
|I support Kaliyan because he is very kind|
to the beggar
|I oppose the rich man because he was very rude and ill treated the beggar|
Let Us Build
A. Join the words and write the new word.
1. dance + er ____________
Ans : dancer
2. entertain + ment ____________
Ans : entertainment
3. fear + ful ____________
Ans : fearful
B. Add a suffix to each word and write it near its meaning.
C. Add appropriate suffix to each word with the clues given.
( penny beauty develop teach)
( ful ment er less )
1. Make something better. ___________
Ans : development
2. A person one who teaches. ___________
Ans : teacher
3. Very pretty. ___________
Ans : beautiful
4. Having no money. ___________
Ans : pennyless
Some Useful Pages