Lesson 1.1 Sea Turtles
Lesson 1.1 > Sea Turtles
Talk about …
1. Have you seen turtles? Where do they live?
நீங்கள் ஆமைகளை பார்த்திருக்கிறீர்களா? அவை எங்கே வசிக்கின்றன.
Yes I have seen turles. They live in the sea.
ஆம் நான் ஆமைகளை பார்த்திருக்கிறேன். அவை கடலில் வசிக்கின்றன.
2. What do you know about turtles?
ஆமைகள் பற்றி உனக்கு என்ன தெரியும்?
Turtles spend their entire life in the sea. They are big in size. They come to the ashore to lay eggs.
ஆமைகள் வாழ்நாளை கடலில் முழுவதுமாக கழிக்கின்றன. அளவில் பெரியதாக இருக்கின்றன. கடற்கரைக்கு முட்டைகள் இட வருகின்றன.
3. Why do you think the turtles in the picture have names such as Leatherback and Hawksbill?
படத்தில் இருக்கும் கடல் ஆமைகள் லெதர்பேக் மற்றும் ஹாக்ஸ்பில் போன்ற பெயர்களை கொண்டுள்ளன என ஏன் நினைக்கிறாய்?
There are reasons why they are called in such names. The turtle called lather back has its back like leather. It has strong and rough back. The Turtle called hawksbill has a long neck like the peak o the hill or mountain.
லெதர்பேக் எனப்படும் ஆமையின் முதுகு தோல் போல இருக்கும். மேலும் வலுவான மற்றும் கடினமான முதுகினை கொண்டிருக்கும். மலையின் உச்சியை போல நீளமான கழுத்தினை பெற்றுள்ளன.
A. Put a (☑) for the correct and a (ý) for the incorrect statements.
- Turtles are different from tortoises. (☑)
- Turtles are sea animals. (þ)
- There are seven kinds of sea turtles in the world. (☑)
- Sea turtles are very small. (ý)
- Turtles come ashore to lay eggs. (☑)
- Sea turtles come to rest on land. (ý)
- Olive Ridleys are the only sea turtles seen on Indian shores. (☑)
|marine||found in the sea||கடலில் காணப்படுவது|
|species||group of animals with common features||இனம்|
|coastal||land by the edge of a sea||கடேலாரம் (அ) கடல் சார்ந்த|
|flipper||board, flat limbs used swimming||துடுப்பு போன்ற முன்னங்கால்|
|predators||animals that kill other animals for food||உணவுக்காக மற்ற விலங்குகளை வேட்டையாடுதல்|
|haul||pull with force||சக்தியுடன் இழு|
|laboriously||with great effort||பெரும் முயற்சி|
|snout||pointed nose of an animal||கூர்முக வாயில்|
|cavity||a hollow space||பொந்துக்கூடு/துவாரம்|
|camouflage||hide or disguise something||மறைக்கப்பட்ட|
|incubate||hatch eggs using warmth||அடைகாத்தல்|
Are these statements right? Discuss with your partner and them (☑) if they are correct. Correct them if they are wrong. Share your answers in class.
- Female Olive Ridleys come ashore at night to lay eggs. (☑)
- The eggs of an Olive Ridley are in the shape and size of a cricket ball. ()
- Ridleys come to lay their eggs in the month of January. (☑)
- The turtles use their flippers and make a hollow for their nests. ()
- The hatchlings use a tiny egg-tooth to come out of the eggs. (☑)
Fill in the table given below
|Problems faced by the hatchlings||Effect||Solution|
|1. Pollution||Survival of sea turtles becomes difficult.||Reduce the usage of plastics.|
|2. Predators||Speices of Turtles gradually disappear||Prevent the predators from killing the hatchlingas|
|3. Human Activities||Reduce the area of the Coast for the turtles to lay eggs||Construction activated must be prohibited|
|survive||continue to live||வாழ்வதற்கு|
|mysteries||facts that are difficult to understand||புதிர்|
|decade||a period of ten year||பத்து ஆண்டுகள்|
A. Choose the correct answers. You may choose more than one answer if needed.
1. The ___________________ is a biological relative of tortoises.
- sea turtle
Ans : sea turtle
2. In India’s coastal waters we can see a species of ___________________.
- sea turtles
Ans : sea turtles
3. Sea turtles come to the shore to___________________.
- visit their birth place
- lay eggs
- go back to sea
4. It is a problem for sea turtles to come ashore because ___________________.
- they find it difficult to walk on sand
- they don’t know their way to the shore
- animals and people hunt them
Ans : animals and people hunt them
5. A turtle’s flippers help it to ___________________.
- dig a nest
Ans : swim
6. A sea turtle camouflages its nest by tossing sand on it to ___________________.
- hide its eggs from predators
- incubate eggs in the warmth of the sun
- keep the hatchlings safe
Ans : incubate eggs in the warmth of the sun
B. Find any five words related to sea from the text (Sections I & II). Write them below. Then use the words to frame sentences of your own.
- beach – We like to play in the sandy beach.
- Turtle – Turtle lives in India’s coastal areas.
- Coastal water – We find turtles in India’s coastal water.
- Ashore – The fishermen keep their boats ashore.
- Coast – They find the cocount trees all along the sea coast
- sand – Children play on the sandy beach
C. Fill in the blanks with words that convey the correct meaning of the sentences.
- Tiny hatchlings fall prey (pray / prey) to many predators.
- Sea turtles live their whole (hole / whole) life in the sea .
- The turtles come ashore only during the night (night / knight).
- The predators follow the scent (sent / scent) of the turtles to eat their eggs.
- The female turtles lay eggs and go back to the sea (see / sea).
D. Use the clues and fill in the crossword puzzle.
1. This word rhymes with seen.
2. This animal has two horns and a spotted coat.
3. This is a huge sea animal.
4. Sounds like hair
5. Shines brightly
6. Rhymes with load
E. Listen to the flash news. Read the questions given below, then listen to the flash news again and complete the responses.*
|What escaped from the zoo?||a tiger a monkey ☑|
|When did it escape?||at 10 p.m at 10 a.m ☑|
|How did it escape?||pushed out of the fence ☑|
went over the fence
|What did the zoo-keeper do?||rang up the police ☑|
rang up the warden
|When should you call or dial 180345778?||when you see the monkey ☑|
to report the escape of the monkey
F. Make meaningful sentences from the table given below.
|A turtle||live in the sea.|
have a connection with the land.
are found in coastal waters.
are wonderful creatures.
has flippers swim.
A turtle is huge. It uses flippers to swim. Turtles live in the sea. They have a connection with the land. They are found in coastal waters. They are wonderful creatures
G. Write a suitable sentence for the pictures given below
|He||Broke the glass||He|
|goes to school||She||has a bag|
H. Match the two halves of the sentences and read them.
- Sea turtles – threaten the survival of sea turtles.
- Hatchlings – uses its front flippers to swim.
- A turtle – come ashore to lay eggs.
- Many factors – cut open the leathery egg shell.
Ans : 1-C, 2-D, 3-B, 4-A
I. Tortoises and Turtles are not the same. Read the facts given below. List the similarities and differences between them.
|reptile family||reptile family|
|land animal||sea animal|
|has a long life||lives for many years|
|uses tiny feet to walk||uses flippers to swim|
|eats grass, weeds and flowers||eats insects and bugs|
|both reptile family||Tortoise land animal||turtle sea animal|
|both has a long life||use tiny feet to walk.|
Eat grasss, weeds and flowers
|use Flippers to swim.|
Eats insects and bugs
J. Write a paragraph from the contents of the table given above. Frame sentences with these words – but, as well as, whereas.
eg. A turtle as well as a tortoise belongs to the reptile family
A Turtle, as well as a tortoise belongs to the reptile family. Tortoise is a land animal whereas turtle is a sea animal. Tortoise uses its tiny feet to walk but turtle uses is flippers to swim. Tortoise eats grass, weeds and flowers where as turtle eats insects and bugs. Both have a long life
K. Describe the picture in about fifty words and give a suitable title. Make use of the words / phrases given below.
|varieties||rare species||deep sea||under the sea|
There are many sea animals. There are many rare species. They live in deep sea. Fishes live under the sea. They are in differentcolours and sizes. There are varieties of sea animals
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்