Lesson 3.1 A Visitor from Distant Lands
Lesson 3.1 > A Visitor from Distant Lands
|Foreign||belongs to other country||வெளிநாடு|
|merchants||people who trade||வியாபாரிகள்|
|sailed||traveled in a boat or ship||ஒரு கப்பல் அல்லது படகில் பயணம் செய்தல்|
|Portuguese||people of Portugal||போர்ச்சுகீசியர்கள்|
|adventurous||brave and bold||துணிச்சலான மற்றும் தைரியமான|
|stubby||short and thick||குறுகிய மற்றும் அடர்த்தியான|
READ AND UNDERSTAND
A. Work in pairs. Tick the best option.
1. When Amma said,’Don’t upset our foreign visitor’ she meant ___________________.
Ans : potatoes
2. Selvi asked, ‘Did they come in an aeroplane?’ because she ___________________.
- was joking
- did not understand her mother
- thought it would be fun
Ans : was joking
3. Amma bought the vegetables from the ___________________.
- shopping mall
- super market
Ans : shops
B. Answer these questions:
1. Who first brought these vegetables to India?
Merchants brought these vegetables to India.
2. Who came to India from Portugal in search of pepper?
Vasco da Gama came to India from Portugal in search of pepper
3. What did Amma mean when she said tomatoes, ladies’ fingers and corn came from other countries?
Amma meant that Mani should not eat tomatoes, ladies’ fingers since they came from other countries.
C. Discuss in groups and share your views in three or four sentences with others in the class.
What is your favourite dish? Do you know the spices that go into it?
My favourite dish is Gobi Manjurian. Yes I know. It includes cauliflower, sooji flour, corn flour, garlic paste, ginger paste, oil, water and salt. It can be easily prepared by anyone. My mom prepared it for me weekly once.
d. Add ‘r’ , ‘er’ or ‘or’ to get the name of the person who does the activity. Take turns in class to make sentences with the words you have formed.
e.g : A teacher is a person who teaches. Teach + er – Teacher.
E. Complete this table with the help of the given example.
e.g : Portugal is the name of the country. People from Portugal are called the Portuguese.
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lankan|
F. Listen to some interesting facts about spices and choose the best option.
1. Red peppers have ___________________.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
Ans : Vitamin C
2. Red chilli is also called ___________________.
Ans : Paprika
3. One pound is equal to ___________________ grams.
Ans : 450
4. Mint leaves help to cure ___________________.
- body pain
- upset stomach
Ans : upset stomach
G. Work in pairs. Take turns and speak about spices.
Saritha : Hi Divya, how are you?
Divya : Hi, I’m fine Saritha.
Saritha : What did you have for breakfast?
Divya : I had dosas with onion chutney.
Saritha : Do you know, where did onions come from?
Divya : Yes. They came from Central Asia.
Saritha : Do you know chilli too has come from somewhere else?
Divya : Is it from South America?
Saritha : Yes, it is right.
Divya : Many of the vegetables came from foreign countries.
H. Use two or three words from the box to describe each picture.
- Red hot chilli
- Big brown ball
- Black cat
- Wooden round table
- Little house
- Two tiger cubs
- Cute smiling boy
- Three chillies
- Snow mountain
- Long tail kangaroo
I. Correct the order of the words in bold and write them in the blanks.
1. Green little the chilli
- The Green little Chilli was very hot.
2. Sailors many brave :
- Many brave sailors tried to find a sea route to India.
3. Brown dog the big :
- The big brown dog barked at the children.
4. The spice most common:
- The most common spice used today is the red chilli pepper.
5. The path mud long :
- The long mud path led to a beautiful lake.
J. Play this game in the class. Make two teams.
Each team should describe something in the class using at least three words. The other team should guess it.
Team A: An orange edible cone.
Team B: Is it a carrot?
Team A: Yes.
Team B: A tall pillar with fiber roots.
Team A: Is it a coconut tree/palm tree?
Team B: Yes.
Team C: A red fatty buffy one.
Team D: Is it a tomato?
Team C: Yes.
Team D: A black small juicy marbles.
Team C: Is it grapes?
Team D: Yes.
K. How do you cook rice in your house?
Fill in the gaps in this recipe for cooking rice. Use the words in the box.
What you’ll need
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
How to make it
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- In a medium sized pan, bring water to boil.
- Add the salt, stir, and then add the rinsed and drained rice.
- Reduce the heat, cover the rice, and let it simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Check after 15 minutes to see if all the water has evaporated. If it has, the rice is ready.
- If not, replace the water and let the rice simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve
L. Your mother has written a message for you before going out.
Write a message to her after finishing your lunch.
Write about the following in your message.
1. You ate lunch :
- I had finished lunch around 1.30 p.m.
2. What you liked :
- I liked the tamarind and curd rice very much (mention the dish).
3. You have cleaned the kitchen :
- I have cleaned the kitchen after finishing my lunch.
4. You are going out to play :
- I have gone to play kabaddi and will be back by 5.30 p.m.
(mention when you will be back).
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்