Lesson 3.3 Spices of India
Lesson 3.3 > Spices of India
A. Answer the following questions.
1. Why do we add spices to food?
We add spices to food to balance nutrition and to keep us healthy.
2. Which spices are used a lot in Indian food?
Spices like cumin, mustard, pepper, cloves, fennel, cinnamon and turmeric are used a lot in Indian food.
3. Which parts of a plant are collected as spices?
Flowers, leaves, roots, bark, seeds and bulbs are parts of a plant collected as spices.
4. What are the uses of spices?
- The spices give the dish a special, savoury taste.
- It makes us to eat more.
5. What happened after Columbus discovered America?
After Columbus had discovered America, he took away the chilli from there.
B. Choose the best option.
1. People say curry comes from a Tamil word ‘kari’ which means ________.
Ans : sauce
2. Pepper is also known as _________.
- Liquid gold
- black gold
- white gold
Ans : black gold
3. ________ wrote about cinnamon in 2700 BC (BCE)
Ans : Chinese
4. The Greeks, Romans and Egyptians all bought cinnamon from _______.
- South America
Ans : India
C. Compare the travel maps of Vasco da Gama and Columbus.
|Vasco da Gama’s journey 1497-1499||Christopher Columbus’s journey 1492-1504|
|Portugal → Calicut → Black Pepper||Portugal → South America → Chilli|
Fill in the table with the prompts. Frame sentences with the help of the table.
|Sailor||Vasco da Gama||Columbus|
|Year of travel||1497 – 1499||1492 -1504|
|Explored||Sea route to India||Sea route to South America|
|Taken away||Black pepper||Chilli|
D. Look at the table carefully. Then complete the points below.
- The paddy plants are given manure after 35.
- The plants take 30 days in ripening phase.
- It takes 10 days to harvesting the rice.
- The rice grains have to be dried and then stored.
- We have to dry the grain for 100 – 120 days before boiling.
E. Talk in groups. Then share your thoughts with the class.
- Do you usually eat all the food served to you? If not, what are the reasons?
- When you eat lunch at school, which are the dishes you don’t eat or waste?
- Why do you avoid certain food items?
- Can you think of ways to reduce the amount of food wasted in your school?
- Have you seen or known anyone in need of food? Have you helped them? How?
- Take a pledge in your group not to waste food.
Mostly, I try to eat all the food served to me. Sometimes I don’t like the taste of a few. I don’t like ladies’ finger, due to its taste and its oily nature. And very rarely I avoid curd rice, when it gets sourness. Yes, I can reduce the amount of food wasted in my school by sharing it with my friends or serving it to the needy outside of my school. Yes, I know a plenty in need of food. Yes, I helped them many times share my food with them. Sometimes I help them provide food from hotels. “ We should not waste food hereafter.”
STEPS TO SUCCESS:
1. Four of the following five are alike in certain ways and so form a group. Which is the one that does not belong to that group?
Ans : Garlic
2. In a certain code language if KBOVBSZ is the code word for JANUARY, what is the code word for OCTOBER?
Ans : PDUPCFS
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்