Lesson 2.3 Gulliver’s Travels
Lesson 2.3 > Gulliver’s Travels
A. Read the following statements. Say True or False.
- Gulliver was the captain of the ship. (False)
- One of the Lilliputians gave a ten minutes talk in Gulliver’s language. (False)
- Gulliver took the small creatures in his hand and crushed them. (False)
- The horses were four and a half inches tall. (True)
- The war between the two kingdoms ended in peace. (True)
B. Identify the speaker / character.
1. He felt something moving along his body almost up to his chin.
2. They somehow managed to put him on the platform.
3. “Don’t let us down now, Gulliver; we need your help.”
- The Emperor
C. Choose the right option.
1. Gulliver managed to reach the land as he was _____.
- a doctor.
- one of the crews.
- a swimmer.
- the captain.
Ans : a swimmer.
2. Gulliver was set free because the emperor ______.
- was afraid of him.
- confirmed that he was not harmful.
- was a kind hearted person.
- wanted to get something from him.
Ans : wanted to get something from him.
3. Gulliver was hailed as a hero because he ______.
- made the army of Blefuscu giddy.
- fought with the army of Blefuscu.
- drowned the army of Blefuscu in the water.
- defeated the emperor of Blefuscu.
Ans : made the army of Blefuscu giddy.
D. Discuss in groups. Retell the story in your own words. Each one should say one sentence. You can begin like this:
|Gulliver was travelling in a ship. One stormy night, the ship was wrecked………….
Gulliver was travelling in a ship. One stormy night, the ship was wrecked. He took a small boat but it overturned by a big wave. He was a good swimmer and he reached the land. But the coast was strange. There was no sign of life. He went into a deep sleep. He was captured by Lilliputains. They looked tiny. They took Gulliver to the capital. The emperor received Gulliver. They put him into a temple. They put some conditions. Later he freely roamed around the Lilliput. The Blefuscu declared a war between Blefuscu and Lilliputains. Lilliputains asked Gulliver to do a favour in the battle. His intelligence diverted the attention of the soldiers. Finally, Blefuscu begged peace to Gulliver. The emperor announced Gulliver was a hero. He lived peacefully at Lilliput.
E. Think and answer.
1. How did Gulliver overcome the adversity?
- Gulliver got a lot of confidence.
- He had more experience. (like doctor, swimmer, planner)
- He knew the situations how to overcome the problems.
- He overcame lot of obstacles.
- He suffered a lot but his self-confidence helped him win a good name.
2. How should one react to adversity?
- Accept adversity as a part of life.
- We should believe in ourself.
- Always think positive.
- We should rectify our mistakes.
- We should not quit until we reach the goal.
- We should accept our adversity bravely.
3. Describe Gulliver’s encounter with the army of Blefuscu.
- Gulliver planned to divert the attention of the soldiers.
- Gulliver took a long rope and tied the hundred ships together.
- He moved the ships round and round into the sea whole day.
- The soldiers became tired.
- The Blefuscu’s soldiers came faint and unsteady to fight anymore.
- The king of Blefuscu begged peace for the two kingdoms.
- Gulliver won the battle.
F. Look at the traffic signals and write down the traffic rule against each signal.
|Man at work||River bank||Stop||Two way||School ahead|
|Horn Prohibited||Narrow Road||Cycle crossing||U-Turn Prohibited||Unguarded level croosing|
G. Look at these pictures. Think of how you must behave when you visit these places. Discuss with your partner and complete the table.
|Use dust bins||Do not throw rubbish in public places|
|Enjoy the nature||Don’t pluck the flowers|
|Wear tradition costume||Avoid Jeans Pants & T.shirts|
|Keep quiet.||Don’t make noise unnecessarily|
|Don’t break the rules||Follow the rules|
|Swim safely||Don’t dive in the sky.|
STEPS TO SUCCESS
H. What is the logical sequence for these words? Tick the right option.
1. 1. Leaves 2. Fruit 3. Seed 4. Flowers 5. root
Ans : b) 3,5,1,4,2
2. 1. Drive 2. Get in 3. Arrive 4. Park 5. Open door
Ans : b) 5,2,1,3,4
3. 1. Travel 2. Book 3. Plan 4. Confirm 5. Enjoy
Ans : a) 3,2,4,1,5
4. 1. Rest 2. Return 3. Supper 4. Go out 5. Visit
Ans : c) 4,5,2,3,1
5. 1. Check out 2. Pack 3. Pay bill 4. Vacate 5. Drive
Ans : d) 2,4,3,1,5
6. 1. Wait 2. Slow 3. Go 4. Stop 5. Get ready
Ans : a) 2,4,1,5,3
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்