Lesson.7 Population and Settlement
Lesson.7 Population and Settlement
I. Choose the correct answer
1. Caucasoid race is also known as _________ race.
Ans : European
2. _________ Race is known as Asian America Race.
Ans : Mongoloid
3. World population day _________.
- September 1
- June 11
- July 11
- December 2
Ans : July 11
4. Rural settlement are located near _________.
- Water bodies
- Hill areas
- Costal areas
- Desert areas
Ans : Water bodies
5. Arrange the following in terms of size _________.
|1) City||2) Megalopolis||3) Metropolis||4) Conurbation|
- 4, 1, 3, 2
- 1, 3, 4, 2
- 2, 1, 3, 4
- 3, 1, 2, 4
Ans : 1, 3, 4, 2
II. Fill in the Blanks.
1. The Bushmen is found mainly in _________ desert in South Africa.
Ans : Kalahari
2. Lingustic stock is a group of _________ family sharing features and its origin.
Ans : language
3. In _________ settlements, where most of the people are engaged in secondary and tertiary activities.
Ans : Urban
4. _________ towns are generally located outside the rural urban fringe.
Ans : Satellite
5. _________ settlement come up around a place of worship.
Ans : Pilgrim
III. A. Match the following
|1. Caucasoid||Asian – American|
|Ans : 1 – C, 2 – D, 3 – A, 4 – B|
B. Match the following
|1. Sutlej-Ganga pain||Dispersed settlement|
|2. Nilgris||Star like pattern|
|3. South India||Rectangular pattern|
|4. Seacoast||Compact settlement|
|5. Haryana||Circular settlement|
|Ans : 1 – C, 2 – A, 3 – D, 4 – E, 5 – B|
IV. Consider the following statement and tick ( √ ) the appropriate answer.
1. Assertion (A) : There are numerous language spoken in the word.
Reason (R) : The linguistic diversity in the word is vast.
- A and R are correct and A explains R.
- A and R are correct and A does not explains A.
- A is in correct but R is correct.
- Both A and R are incorrect
Ans : A and R are correct and A explains R.
2. Assertion (A) : Thiruverkadu in Tamil Nadu is an example for pilgrim settlement.
Reason (R) : Iron and steel industry is located there.
- R is the correct explanation of A
- R is not the correct explanation of A
- A is wrong and R is correct
- A and R are wrong.
Ans : R is not the correct explanation of A
V. Circle the odd one out.
1. Fishing, lumbering, agriculture, banking
Ans : banking
2. Himalayas, Alps, Rocky, Ganga
Ans : Ganga
3. Chennai, Madurai, Tirunellveli, Kanchipuram
Ans : Kanchipuram
VI. Answer the following.
1. What are the classification of Races?
The major world Human Race,
- Caucasoid – European
- Negroid – African
- Mongoloid – Asian – American
- Australoid – Australian
Race of India: Dravidian orgin.
2. What is language?
The method of human communication, either spoken or written.
3. Define Settlement.
Settlement is defined as a place in which people live and carry out various activities.
4. On what bases Urban Settlements are classified?
- Size of population.
- Occupational structure.
5. Write a note on Smart city.
In an urban region, a city which is very much advanced in terms of infrastructure real estate, communication hospital and Market availability is called a Smart city
VII. Give reason.
1. Mumbai is a mega city.
- More than 10 million people.
- It is a leading commercial and financial centre.
- Home to the Reserve Bank of India.
- Stock Exchange, and a variety of other major financial institution.
- The government and service sectors are also important in the city’s economy.
- Job opportunities.
2. Himalayas have dispersed settlement.
- Extreme climates.
- Hilly tracts.
- Thick forests.
- Poor agricultural lands.
- Poor grasslands.
- Poor Transport.
VIII. Distinguish between.
1. Physical Geography and Human Geography.
|Physical Geography||Human Geography|
|Physical Geography looks at the natural processes of the Earth. Earth movements, climate vegetation and natural environment.||Human Geography is the study of Man and his surroundings to the natural environment.|
2. Language and Religion.
|The method of human communication, either spoken or written.||A particular system of faith and worship.|
3. City and town.
|Population more than five hundred.||Population more than one lakh.|
|Cities cover a wider are than towns.||Town is an urban area that is smaller than cities.|
4. Urban settlement and rural settlement.
|Urban settlement||Rural settlement.|
|Urban is related to cities and towns.||Rural settlements located near water bodies such as river and lake|
|The people are engaged with secondary and tertiary activities||Rural settlements were associated with agricultural.|
IX. Answer in a paragraph.
1. Write about the four major classification of races.
- Caucasoid (European)
- Negroid (African)
- Mongoloid (Asian, American)
- Australoid (Australian)
It is known as European race. This group is the one with fair skin and dark brown eyes, wavy hair and narrow nose. This race also found in Eurasica.
They have the dark eye, black skin, black wooly hair, wide nose, long head, and thick lips. They are living in different parts of Africa.
This race is commonly known as the Asian- American race. The mongoloid have the light yellow to brown, skin straight hair, flat face, broad head and medium nose. These people found in Asia and America.
They have wide nose, curly hair dark skin and short in height. They are living in Australia and Asia.
2. What are the factors influencing rural settlement?
- Nature of topography.
- Local weather condition.
- Soil and water sources.
- Social organization.
- Economic condition.
3. What are types of rural settlement? Explain any three.
- Linear settlement.
- Rectangle settlement.
- Circular settlement.
- The star like pattern of settlement.
Explain any three,
The houses are arranged along the either side of a road, river (or) canals the edge of a valley.
Eg: The Himalayas, The alps, The Rocky.
Almost straight, meeting each other at right angles. Such settlement is found in plain area.
Circular pattern settlement:
House built around lakes and tanks.
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்