Lesson 1.2 The Computer Swallowed Grandma
Lesson 1.2 > The Computer Swallowed Grandma
Look at the picture, discuss in pairs and present it before the class.
If your grandmother is …
- ready for a bicycle race, I will appreciate her confidence.
- willing to play hide and seek, I will invite her happily.
- grabbing a lollipop from you, I will give her a lot.
How will you react to these situations?
B. Read these lines and answer the questions given below.
1. The computer swallowed grandma.
Who swallowed Whom?
The computer devoured grandma.
2. She pressed ‘Control’ and ‘Enter’
And disappeared from view.
How did Grandma disappear from view?
Grandma disappeared from view when she pressed ‘control’ and ‘Enter’
3. It devoured her completely.
What does ’it’ refer to?
‘It’ refers to the computer.
4. She must have caught a virus
Or been eaten by a worm.
What happened to Grandma?
The speaker feels that his/her grandma must have caught a virus or been eaten by a worm.
5. I’ve searched through the recycle bin
And files of every kind;
I’ve even used the Internet,
But nothing did I find.
Where did the author search for grandma?
The author searched for grandma in the recycle bin and files of every sort. Even in the Internet, She failed to find grandma.
C. Work in pairs. Read the last two stanzas of the poem and answer the following questions.
1. Who did the author ask for grandma?
The author asked Jeeves for grandma
2. Did the author get a positive reply?
No, the author did not get a positive reply from Jeeves.
3. What is the author’s plea?
The author’s plea is to ‘copy’, ‘scan’ and ‘paste’ grandma in an email to him, if we finds her in our ‘Inbox’.
D. Pick out the rhyming pairs and write them in the blanks given.
|Stanza 2||Stanza 3||Stanza 4||Stanza 5|
|squirm – worm||kind – worm||refine – ‘Online’||see – me|
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்