Lesson 3.1 A Prayer to the Teacher
Lesson 3.1 > A Prayer to the Teacher
Read the clues, guess the profession and fill in the crossword puzzle.
2. Teaches students
Ans ; Teacher
4. Helps doctors and patients
Ans ; Nurse
6. Builds houses according to a plan
Ans ; Engineer
9. Protects the country
Ans ; Soldier
10. Gives ticket to passengers
Ans ; Conductor
1. Gives treatment to animals
Ans ; Veterinary Doctor
3. Grows crops
Ans ; Farmer
5. flies an aircraft
Ans ; Pilot
7. Plays a musical instrument
Ans ; Musician
8. Stitches clothes
Ans ; Tailor
i) Which is the role of a farmer in society? Discuss and answer.
Farmer plays a central role in our society but invisibly. He supplies every one’s basic need. He is a man in God, who saves our life.
ii) When you grow up, what do you want to become? Why?
I want to become a……… because I want to serve this society with the help of my profession.
|syllabi||plural of syllabus||பாடத்திட்டங்கள்|
|inclusion||all people being valued, irrespective of differences||அனைவரையும் மதித்தல், உள்ளடக்குதல்|
|cut throat||competitive||போட்டி மனப்பான்மை|
|less privileged||disadvantaged||சலுகைகள் குறைந்த|
|fend||look after||கவனித்துக் கொள்ளுதல்|
|critical||extremely important||மிக முக்கியமாய்|
|indiscriminate||without careful judgement||பாகுபாடற்ற|
|consumerism||the protection or promotion of the interests of consumers||நுகர்வு கலாச்சாரம்|
|destruction||the action of damaging or destroying something||அழிவு|
|engulf||eat or swallow the whole||விழுங்குதல்|
|scavenger bird||anything that feeds on dead animals (example :crow)||ஊண் உண்ணி பறவை|
|perch||to rest on / to stay on||ஓய்வெடுத்தல்|
|enslaved||make someone a slave||அடிமையாக்கல்|
|commercial||money minded||பணத்தாசை கொண்ட|
|contemplate||think deeply about something||நினைத்தல்|
|bigotry||intolerance towards others with a different opinion||காழ்ப்புணர்வு|
I. Which of these statements do you find in the speech?
- Inclusion is essential for us to do well in life. ( True )
- We should neglect others. ( False )
- Communicate politely with the less privileged. ( True )
- Teachers teach us to communicate well. ( True )
- Effective Communication is inessential to excel in life. ( False )
II. Read the statements. Select the correct words. You can Select more than one.
1. We should develop the ability to learn from ______________.
Ans ; other (or) books
2. Teachers help me to learn _______________ things .
Ans ; new (or) difficult
3. Teach me to appreciate
- small creatures
Ans ; nature (or) small creatures.
4. We should learn to ___________ questions.
Ans ; ask
III. Answer the following questions in a sentence or two.
1. What is inclusion? Why is it important?
‘Inclusion’ is valuing everyone irrespective of differences. It is very important for us to do well in life.
2. What is good or effective communication ?
A good communication is to communicate what we truly feel.
3. What should we learn from our teachers?
We should learn the value of inclusion, to communicate effectively, learn to learn, the interconnected nature of things, to question and the power of silence from our teachers.
4. What kind of learning brings joy to you ?
Learning new ways of learning brings joy to us.
5. In what ways are we doing injustice to nature ?
We cut down trees, kill small creatures by using fertilizers and pesticides and cause urban decay with consumerism. In these ways, we are doing injustice to nature.
6. What do you need to learn to live a good life in this world?
To live a good life in this world, we have to learn the value of inclusion.
7. How does the ability to question help us?
The ability to question help us establish a better order of things and learn to be accountable.
8. What do you think are the two most important lessons that the speaker mentions?
I think the two most important lessons that the speaker mentions are the value of inclusion and the ability to communicate.
IV. Answer the following questions in detail.
1. What are the skills / values a teacher should teach their students to live in this competitive world?
- Teachers should teach their students the value of inclusion.
- They should teach them to communicate what we feel effectively.
- They should show them how we destruct our environment.
- They should teach them that nature’s services are completely free.
- They should teach them both to be silent and to raise our voice to protect the truth.
- They should teach them to develop a world view of things.
- They should teach them not to treat the human beings as foreigners.
2. What kind of a life do you want to lead in this world?
- I want to lead a life that is useful to everyone.
- I want to learn the value of inclusion and respect others.
- I want to learn to communicate what I feel.
- I wish to learn to learn.
- I want to learn to ask questions.
- With the lessons my teachers teach me, I can lead a responsible life.
Prefix and Suffix
A. Match the suitable prefix and suffix to create new words of your own. One has been done for you.
|Root word||Prefix/Suffix||New word|
B. Refer to your dictionary. Add a prefix or suffix to the following words and find their antonyms.
- privileged – Underprivileged
- animate – Inanimate
- discriminate – Indiscriminate
- empty – Non-empty
- communicate – Excommunicate
Language Check Point
|The plane flew above the building.||The plane flew over the building.||Use ‘above’ when there is no movement.
Use ‘over’ when there is movement.
|We shall meet them in the club this evening.||We shall meet them at the club this evening||Use ‘in’ for large places. e.g. countries, cities etc.
Use ‘at’ for small places. e.g. park, school etc.
|I walk by foot.||I walk on foot.||‘On’ is used for actions involving body parts,
‘By’ is used to mention the means of transport.
C. Listen to the story and fill in the blanks by selecting the right option.
1. Raj was upset as he had done __________ (well/poorly) in his English test.
Ans ; poorly
2. His grandmother gave him a ________. (pen/pencil)
Ans ; pencil
3. Granny compared ___________ (Raj/Ravi) with the pencil.
Ans ; Raj
4. Ravi’s pain of not doing well in his test was compared with ___________ of pencils.(sharpening/writing)
Ans ; sharpening
5. Raj understood that failures are stepping stones to _________ (success/climbing)
Ans ; success
A. Look at the pictures. Pick out the right preposition and fill in the speech bubbles given below.
|inside||on||over||in front of|
B. Read the following sentences carefully and underline the preposition.
- Julian placed her lunchbox inside her bag. – inside
- Vinothini left the house before sunrise. – before
- Ben saw Daisy playing across the road.- across
- Hema keeps all her teddy bears on top of her wardrobe. – on top of
- Divya hid the sweets behind her back. – behind
- Sudha fell over during the basketball match. – over
- Madhusudhan checked to see if his keys had fallen underneath his chair. – underneath
- Mrs Meena asked the children to go into her classroom. – into
- After lunch, the children were allowed to play. – after
- Saravanan climbed onto the horse. – onto
C. Complete the following sentences using appropriate prepositions.
1. Is your mother ____ home?
Ans ; at
2. There is unity in diversity _______ the people.
Ans ; among
3. He discussed the problem ______ his parents.
Ans ; with
4. Lithisha was praised ____ her father.
Ans ; by
5. Can you finish the work ____ tomorrow?
Ans ; by
6. He has been absent ______ last week.
Ans ; since
D. Fill in the blanks using suitable prepositions from the box. Some options can be used more than once.
1. What do you do __________ weekends?
Ans ; on
2. I am going to my village _________ Sunday.
Ans ; on
3. I haven’t met my friends _____________ December.
Ans ; since
4. Run ___________ the street and get me the ribbon.
Ans ; across
5. He told me in detail ____________ the incident.
Ans ; about
6. This picture was drawn ______ the girl ________ charcoal.
Ans ; by, with
7. The car was travelling ______ a great speed.
Ans ; at
8. The ball fell _____________ the lake.
Ans ; into
9. There is a bridge ______________ the river.
Ans ; across
10. The conference will be held ___________ 10 a.m. _____ 5 p.m.
Ans ; from, to
E. Fill up the blanks using suitable prepositions on your own.
1. The soldier climbed ______ a horse and rode away.
Ans ; onto
2. They have been here _____ a long time.
Ans ; for
3. Kumaravel has lived in this city ________ 2012.
Ans ; since
4. The paper was published _____ an International journal.
Ans ; in
5. When will you return to home?
6. One ____ the four students wrote the answers correctly.
Ans ; of
7. This fruit is _______ the Mexican capital.
Ans ; from
8. The head office is _____ Nungambakkam. It is _____ College Road. As you go __________ the station, the office is ______ the right side.
Ans ; at, at, across, on
9. The sailors were taken ______ the forest and made to walk ______ 10 miles.
Ans ; to, for
10. The girl standing ____________ me was sneezing.
Ans ; beside
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்