Lesson 1.2 Sea Fever
Lesson 1.2 > Sea Fever
Rescue the sinking words!
|1. VOYAGE||2. WAVE||3. SHIP||4. HARBOUR|
|5. EXPORT||6. ISLAND||7. NAVIGATE||8. SAILOR|
|Star to steer||the north star is the pole star which tells the sailor where North is and thus they can steer the ship correctly|
|flung||threw (எறி or வீசு)|
|spume||sea foam (கடல் நுரை)|
|vagrant||wandering (அலைந்து திரிகிறது)|
|yarn||A long or rambling story especially one that is impossible|
|rover||wanderer (அலைந்து திரிபவர்)|
|trick||a period of stay on the ship after the voyage.|
B. Choose the best answer.
1. The title of the poem ‘Sea Fever’ means ______________________.
- flu fever
- the poet’s deep wish to be at sea
- the poet’s fear of the sea
Ans ; the poet’s deep wish to be at sea
2. The poet asks for ___________________.
- a fi shing net
- a big boat
- a tall ship
Ans ; a tall ship
3. The poet wants to lead a life at sea like __________________.
- the gulls and whales
- the penguins and sharks
- the pelicans and dolphins
Ans ; the gulls and whales
C. Read the lines and answer the questions.
1. I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky
Where does the poet want to go?
The poet wants to go to the lonely sea.
2. And the wheel’s kick and the winds song and the white sail’s shaking
What according to the poet are the pleasures of sailing?
The pleasures of sailing are the wheels’ kick, the wind’s song, and the sail’s shaking.
3. And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying
Why does the poet ask for a windy day?
The poet asks for a windy day because of his ship’s easy sailing.
4. And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow rover.
What kind of human company does the poet want?
The poet wants a story telling happy friend.
5. And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over
What does the poet want to do after his voyage is over?
The poet wants to have a quiet sleep, sweet dream.
D. Poem Appreciatiozz
1. Fill in the blanks with correct rhyming words from the poem.
sky – by, knife – life, rover – over
2. Quote the line that has been repeated in the poem
- I must go down to the seas again
- And all I ask is a windy day
- And all I ask is a merry yarn
3. Write the poetic device which is used in the line below.
And a grey mist on the sea’s face – Personification
4. What poetic device is used for the comparison in the below line?
Where the wind’s like a whetted life — Simile
E. The poem has many visual and sound images. Complete the table with examples from the poem. The first one has been done for you.
|Visual images||Sound images|
|Wheel’s kick||Wind’s song|
|Sea’s face||White cloud’s flying, Sea – gulls crying, Sail’s shaking|
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்