Lesson 1.1 Hobby – Turns A Successful Career
Lesson 1.1 > Hobby – Turns A Successful Career
|What is the girl doing?|
அந்த பெண் என்ன செய்கிறாள்
The girl is drawing a picture.
அந்தப் பெண் ஒரு படம் வரைந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறாள்
|What is the man doing? Will you like doing it? why?|
அந்த மனிதர் என்ன செய்கிறார்? நீ அதைச் செய்ய விரும்புகிறாயா? ஏன்?
The man is cooking. I like cooking. It is an essential skill.
அந்த மனிதன் சமைத்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார். சமைப்பது எனக்கு பிடிக்கும். அது மிகவும் அவசியமான ஒரு திறமை ஆகும்.
|Do you like gardening? Why?|
தோட்ட வேலை உங்களுக்கு பிடிக்குமா? ஏன்
I like gardening. It gives me pleasure and economical benefits.
தோட்ட வேலை செய்வது எனக்குப் பிடிக்கும். அது எனக்கு மகிழ்ச்சியையும், பொருளாதார நன்மைகளையும் தருகிறது
|What are the benefits of taking up cycling as a hobby?|
கைக்கிளில் செல்வதை பொழுதுபோக்காக கொள்வதால் பெறப்படும் நன்மைகள் யாவை?
Cycling gives us good health. It never pollutes the environment.
சைக்கிள் ஓட்டுதல் உடல் ஆராக்கியம் தருகிறது. அது சுற்றுச்சூழலை மாசுபடுத்துவதில்லை.
|Unique||distinctive / uncommon||தனித்துவம்|
|Exhaust||tire out||முற்றிலும் சோர்வான|
|Passionate||intense/ heartfelt||தீவிரமான ஆசை|
|Fiction||imaginative writing||கற்பனை கதைகள்|
Read and Understand
A. Say true or false.
1. Mani’s hobby is playing cricket. – ( False )
2. Hobbies are unique to people. – ( True )
3. People have hobbies only to pass time. – ( False )
B. Choose the correct answer.
1. Mani imagined a world with ____________
- music and musicians
- building and sculptures
- magic and magicians
Ans ; magic and magicians
2. When Mani started writing things, he was unable to __________
- describe them accurately
- describe them fluently
- describe them imaginatively
Ans ; describe them imaginatively
3. Mani feels writing is like _______
- painting the voice
- engraving the voice
- designing the voice
Ans ; painting the voice
|Miniature||very small of its kind||மிகச்சிறிய அளவிலான|
|Exhibit||show or reveal||கண்காட்சி, வெளிப்பாடு|
|Revitalise||re energise||புத்துணர்வு, உயிரூட்டுதல்|
A. Say true or false.
- Ajay Garg is an artist. – ( True )
- Asha Devi taught Ajay the miniature painting. – ( True )
- Ajay displayed 150 paintings. – ( True )
- Ajay was awarded by the Indian President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. – ( True )
B. Answer the following questions.
1. What was Ajay gifted with?
Ajay was gifted with a paint set.
2. How was he honoured?
He was honoured with a National Award of Accomplishment by our former
Indian President, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, in 2004.
3. What did Ajay’s current goal?
Ajay’s current goal is to revitalise the dying art of traditional miniature Indian paintings.
4. Is Ajay’s hobby become a successful career? How?
Yes. Ajay’s hobby becomes a successful career. Ajay is ready to learn and develop his skills and so he is become a successful man in his career.
|Passionate||showing strong feelings||வலுவான உணர்வுகளைக் காட்டுகிறது|
|Accommodate||sufficient space for||போதுமான இடம்|
|Trophies||a decorative cup given as a token of victory||கோப்பைகள்|
|Shattered||break , damage or destroyed||உடைத்தல், சேதம் அல்லது அழித்தல்|
READ AND UNDERSTAND
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. Mani feels writing is like _____________________
Ans ; painting the voice
2. Ajay mastered the techniques of _______________________.
Ans ; miniature paintings
3. Ilavazhagi won her first match against _______________________.
Ans ; her father
B. Choose correct synonyms for the italic word.
1. Writing is a unique hobby
Ans ; uncommon
2. Ajay started to paint happily.
Ans ; joyfully
3. Miniature paintings depict Indian culture.
Ans ; portray
C. Choose correct antonyms for the italic word.
1. Ajay suffered an injury.
- endure / comfort
Ans ; endure / comfort
2. He mastered the techniques of painting.
Ans ; unskilled
3. Ilavazhagi won world championship in France.
Ans ; defeat
D. Answer the following questions in one or two sentences.
1. What happened to Ajay at the age of three?
Ajay suffered an injury at the age of three.
2. What did Asha Devi teach Ajay?
Asha Devi taught Ajay the dying art of ‘Traditional Indian Miniature Painting’.
3. Why writing is beneficial according to Mani?
Writing opens his mind to think beyond the little things with a broader mind. So, Mani thinks that writing is beneficial.
E. Answer the following questions in 100 words.
1. How did Ajay’s father find his son’s talent?
- Ajay’s father gifted him a paint set.
- Ajay started to paint happily.
- He painted on the walls and floors.
- He looked happy, while using the paint set.
- Thus Ajay’s father realised that Ajay was talented in painting. (or) Thus Ajay’s father found his son’s talent.
2. Write a note on Ilavazhagi.
- Ilavazhagi is a carrom champion of Tamilnadu.
- Her father A.Irudhyaraj gave her coaching at the age of five.
- She won lot of medals and trophies.
- She is the champion of 5th world carrom in France.
- She is the world cup winner in 2006.
- She won many SAARC, Asia Cup titles and Medals.
- Her hobby of playing carrom took her to the level of Champion
a. Pick out the correct homophone:
1. I am not _________ to drink soda. (aloud, allowed)
Ans ; allowed
2. The wind ________ the leaves. (blue, blew)
Ans ; blew
3. I will _________ my friend. (meat, meet)
Ans ; meet
4. He will play the _________ in the second play. (role, roll)
Ans ; role
5. I have _________ movie before. (scene, seen)
Ans ; seen
b. Choose the correct homophone.
1. Every morning my father likes to look at the _______ on the grass.
Ans ; dew
2. Chennai is the _______ of Tamilnadu.
Ans ; capital
3. Their words had a negative _________ on my self-esteem.
Ans ; effect
4. I was very _____ last weekend because my friends made plans that did not include me.
Ans ; bored
5. The cat caught the _____ of a mouse.
Ans ; scent
Abbreviation and Acronyms
Abbreviations are shortened forms of words or lengthy phrases,
example: PM – Prime Minister
An acronym is a new word created from the first letters of a long name or phrase, for example: NATO – North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
|B.A||Bachelor of Arts|
|B.Sc||Bachelor of Science|
|MA||Master of Arts|
|M.Phil||Master of Philosophy|
|CEO||Chief Educational Officer|
|DEO||District Educational Officer|
|RRB||Railway Recruitment Board|
|AIDS||Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome|
|CBI||Central Bureau of Investigation|
|BBC||British Broad casting Corporation|
|OTP||One Time Password|
|LASER||Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation|
|NATO||The North Atlantic Treaty Organization|
|RADAR||RAdio Detection And Ranging|
|SONAR||SOund Navigation And Ranging|
|SCUBA||Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus|
|UDISE||Unified District Information System for Education|
Expand the following:
|GST||Goods and Services Tax|
|ECG||Electro Cardio Gram|
|ILO||International Labour Organisation|
|SCERT||State Council of Educational Research and Training|
|IIT||Indian Institute of Technology|
|ISRO||Indian Space Research Organisation|
|FIR||First Information Report|
|UNESCO||United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation|
|UNICEF||United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund|
|NASA||National Aeronautics and Space Administration|
Questions on passage
1. What is philately?
The hobby of stamp collection is known as philately.
2. What is numismatics?
Collection of coins from, different countries is known as numismatics. (or) The hobby of collecting coins is called numismatics.
3. Do you know where the rarest and the most beautiful shells are found?
The rarest and the most beautiful shells are found in the Indo-Pacific, Caribbean and Mediterranean regions.
4. Painting can help unleash your creative side. How?
Painting translates our thoughts, desires and feelings into something beautiful.
5. What is your friend’s hobby? How does it differ from yours? Discuss and write.
My friend’s hobby is web-browsing. My hobby is reading. I read books and relish them. But my friend collects information about the latest inventions from net and shares with me. Really Web-browsing is an amazing hobby.
Role-play the conversation in the class.
Naveen : Hi Ajay! How are you?
Ajay : I am Fine, and what about you?
Naveen : I am fine too. What are you doing in this early morning?
Ajay : I am taking care of my garden. The garden is running to weeds.
Naveen : Oh! What a beautiful garden it is!
Ajay : It is beautiful as I work every day in it.
Naveen : Who helps you in your work?
Ajay : Myself have done this. It is my and who I have cultivated vegetables hobby.
Naveen : Oh! That’s nice. How long have you been doing this?
Ajay : I have been doing this for the past two years.
Naveen : What do you plant in your garden?
Ajay : I plant varieties of rose plants and vegetables.
Naveen : Oh! I see. I like roses very much.
Ajay : I will give you a rose sapling. Will you plant it in your garden?
Naveen : Yes. Sure. Please give me.
Ajay : Here, it is. Keep it with you.
Naveen : Thank you, Naveen. I plant it now itself.
Ajay : You are welcome. Good Bye.
Naveen : Good Bye. See you tomorrow.
a. Pick out the words from the list and put them appropriately in the table.
|David, Madurai, parrot, happiness, book, thought, green, tiger, Trichy, computer,Narayanan, fan, sister, Kalam, woman, pencil, Bharthi, problem, brother, Mumbai, swan, elephant, Vijay, solution, success, school, conven|
b. Write the common noun for the following proper nouns.
|No||Proper Noun||Common Noun|
c. Read the following paragraph and pick out the different types of nouns and put them in the table.
Hobby is an activity we enjoy doing in our free time. It keeps us busy in our leisure time. People choose their hobby on the basis of their interests and personality. Do you know what Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s hobby was? Note : Abstract nouns can be called common nouns.
|Proper Noun||Common Noun||Collective Noun||Abstract Noun|
|Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam||Hobby|
d. Fill in the blanks.
1. a ___________________ of cows.
Ans ; herd
2. a ___________________ of birds.
Ans ; flock
3. a ______________ of ants.
Ans ; swarm
4. a __________________ of grapes
Ans ; bunch
a. Complete with the subject personal pronoun.
1. My name is Preethi. (Preethi) ______ am a student and this is my family.
Ans ; I
2. My mom’s name is Princy. (Princy) ____________ is a house wife.
Ans ; She
3. Albert is my dad. (My dad) ____________ is a business man.
Ans ; He
4. Benjamin is my brother. (Benjamin) ___________ is a dancer.
Ans ; He
5. (Preethi and Benjamin) _____________ are twins.
Ans ; They
b. Change the underlined words with correct pronoun.
1. I saw Mr. Balu this morning and gave Mr. Balu him my homework.
Ans ; him
2. Muthu likes computer games but he doesn’t play computer games them very often.
Ans ; them1
3. My aunt lives in Trichy but, my aunt she often comes to visit my family.
Ans ; she
4. Neil Armstrong was born is 1930. Neil Armstrong He landed on the moon in 1969.
Ans ; he
c. Change the possessive adjective into possessive pronoun.
1. This is my pen.
Ans ; This pen is mine.
2. She missed her purse.
Ans ; Missed purse is hers.
3. Her speech is nice.
Ans ; Nice speech is hers.
4. My book is new
Ans ; New book is mine.
5. My bike is costly.
Ans ; Costly bike is mine.
List out the transitive and intransitive verbs in following words.
( come, buy, teach, learn, arrive, sing, run, draw, jump, write )
|Transitive verbs||Intransitive verbs|
|buy, teach, learn, sing, draw, write||come, arrive, run, jump|
Language check point
|I cannot cope up with this pressure.||I cannot cope with this pressure.||The meaning of cope is to manage. Cope is followed by the preposition ‘with’, and never followed by ‘up’.|
|He has grey hairs.||He has grey hair.||All the hair on one’s head is considered uncountable and so, ‘hairs’ is almost always incorrect.|
|What is the time in your watch?||What is the time by your watch?||In your watch is incorrect. Use by to ask time.|
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்