Lesson 2.2 A Thing of Beauty
Lesson 2.2 > A Thing of Beauty
- bower – shelter under the shade of trees
- wreathing – cover, surround, encircle something
- pall – covering
- rills – clear stream
- sprinkling – falling in fine drops
B. Choose the correct answers.
1. According to the poet, a thing of beauty is .
- a joy forever
- a pain forever
- a suffering forever
Ans ; a joy forever
2. Beautiful things never “pass into nothingness ” means that they .
- never increases
- create unpleasantness between friends
- never fade away
- always bring unhappiness
Ans ; never fade away
3. “Will keep a bower quiet for us” means .
- Will give us peace and calm
- will stop unpleasant sound
- make our beds fit to sleep d. reduces noise
Ans ; Will give us peace and calm
4. Of all the unhealthy means .
Ans ; suffering
5. The sun moon, trees, old and young are the things that .
- Depress us
- remove the pall of gloom from our lives
- makes us laugh
- gives us oxygen
Ans ; remove the pall of gloom from our lives
C. Answer the following.
1. How is a thing of beauty joy forever?
A thing of beauty gives us peace and removes our sorrows. It is as pleasant and soothing as cool shade. Beautiful things are like a heavenly drink that keeps us happy for ever.
2. Why do we suffer?
We suffer on account of our greed and lack of help or support.
3. According to the poet, mention the evil things we possess.
Selfishness, greed, indifference to nature, wickedness etc.
4. Identify the figure of speech in the following lines :
- A bower quiet for us, and a sleep – metaphor
- Of noble natures, of the gloomy days – transferred epithet
- That for themselves a cooling covert make – imagery, alliteration
Figure of Speech
Alliteration is the reputation of the same consonant letters or similar sounds at the
beginning words in a set or series of words.
- wild wind
- curious clock
- splendid scholar
- memorable moments
- creepy crawlies
Imagery is the way that a writer helps reader visualize or see in their minds what is being described. These images often suggest emotions. Images appeal to one or more of the five senses: sight, hearing, touch, taste or smell.
- It was dark and cloudy in the woods
- The boys were screaming and shouting in the playground
- The mountain was spewing and spitting the smoke
- The sauce was sweet and sour
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்