Lesson 1.3 The Fun They Had
Lesson 1.3 > The Fun They Had
|crinkly (adj.)||with many folds or lines|
|awfully (adv.)||very, extremely|
|attic (n.)||a space just below the roof used as a store room|
|scornful (adj.)||feeling or expressing contempt|
|loftily (adv.)||something done in a proud or haughty manner|
|century (n.)||a period of one hundred years|
|nonchalantly (adv.)||in a casually calm and relaxed manner|
A. Identify and name the character/speaker
1. She was given test after test in geography ______________ .
Ans : Margie
2. He was a round little man with a red face and a whole box of tools with dials and wires ______________ .
Ans : County Inspector
3. She had been hoping they would take the teacher away altogether ______________ .
Ans : Margie
4. They learned the same things, so they could help one another with the home work and talk about it ______________ .
Ans : Student of the old school
5. The teachers didn’t live in the house. They had a special building and all the kids went there ______________ .
Ans : tommy
B. Fill in the blanks with the clues given below to complete the paragraph.
|millions of books||yellow and crinkly|
|learning and spending||geography||test papers|
|time||real book||same thing||person|
Tommy and Margie found something about the (i) schools of the past. Tommy found a (ii) real book which has been printed on paper. The book was old and the pages were (iii) yellow and crinkly At present, the (iv) words were moving on a television screen. The television had over (v) millions of books. He had found the old book in the (vi) attic of his house. While reading Tommy found that it was about the old schools. Margie hated school because she was having problems with learning (vii) geography. The mechanical teacher was black and large with a screen. Margie hated the slot where she had to insert her homework or (viii) test papers. Margie did not understand how a (ix) person could be a teacher and how the students were taught the (x) same thing.Then it was (xi) time school for Margie and Tommy. Margie went to the schoolroom in her (xii) house, where the mechanical teacher stood. She was thinking about the old school and how much fun the children had, (xiii) learning and spending time together.
C. Complete the following statements based on your reading
1. The old book was found by ______________________
Ans : tommy
2. Margie was surprised to see the old book because ___________________________
Ans : the words stood still instead of moving.
3. The mechanical teacher was giving Margie________________________________
Ans : test after test in geography.
4. Margie had to study always at the same time every day, because her mother said little girls ________________________
Ans : learned better if they learned at regular hours.
5. The geography sector in mechanical teacher was __________________________
Ans : geared a little too quickly
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்