Lesson 3.1 Old Man River
Lesson 3.1 > Old Man River
- knitting (v) : to make (a garment, fabric, etc.) by interlocking loops of one or more yarns either by hand with knitting needles or by machine
- cloudburst (n) : a sudden violent rainstorm
- stamping (v) : bring down (one’s foot) heavily on the ground
- pitcher (n) : a large jug
- lantern (n) : a lamp with a transparent case protecting the flame or electric bulb, and typically with a handle by which it may be carried or hung
- gasp (v) : catch one’s breath with an open mouth, owing to pain or astonishment
- shudder (v) : shiver typically as a result of fear or revulsion
- attic (n) : a space or room inside or partly inside the roof of a building
- splint (n) : a long flat object used as a support for a broken bone so that the bone stays in a particular position while it heals
- hark (v) : listen, pay attention
- hot cocoa (n) : a hot drink made from cocoa powder mixed with milk or water
- squeak (n) : a short, high – pitched sound or cry
- Red Cross (n) : an international organization that helps people who are suffering, for example as a result of war, floods, or disease
- porch (n) : a covered shelter projecting in front of the entrance of a building
- thump (v) : hit and strike heavily, especially with fist or a blunt instrument
- pickaback (n) : a piggyback ride, on the back and shoulders of another person
- wink (v) : close and open one eye quickly, shine or flash intermittently
- bump (v) : knock or run into someone or something with a jolt to hit something with force
- scornfully (adv) : feeling or expressing contempt or derision, mocking
- lapping (v) : (of water) wash against (something) with a gentle rippling sound, to fold over or around something
- drape (n) : long curtains
- cracker (n) : a thin dry biscuit, typically eaten with cheese
A. Based on your understanding of the play , choose the correct answer and fill in the blanks.
1. The radio announced that__________________________
- the river was above the flood stage.
- the Burnet Dam had given way.
- there will be a cloud burst.
- they will be a cyclone.
Ans : the river was above the flood stage.
2. Mother couldn’t get home from Mrs. Brant’s because_____________
- it was raining heavily.
- the bridges between home and the town were under water.
- there was an emergency at Mrs. Brant’s house.
- she had broken her leg.
Ans : the bridges between home and the town were under water.
3. The Burnett Dam gave away as____________
- it rained for days.
- the dam was weak.
- it rained heavily and the snow was melting.
- the maintenance was poor.
Ans : it rained heavily and the snow was melting.
4. There was no power because_______
- the power house was out of commission.
- the power house was flooded.
- the dam gave away.
- there was fire.
Ans : the power house was out of commission.
5. Why did they splint up Sara’s leg with pillows?
- She was unconscious out of fear.
- She had broken her leg below the knee.
- She was too lazy to walk.
- She was making a fuss.
Ans : She had broken her leg below the knee.
B. Match the following by drawing a line across
|1. Amy||to Chicago on business|
|3. Rose||flash light|
|6. Penny||Marsh Mrs. Brant’s|
|7. Mrs.Peters||fractured leg|
|8. Mother||tubs and pails|
|9. Dick||Junior Red Cross|
|10. Dad||rescues the children|
|Ans : 1 – e, 2 – c, 3 – h, 4 – g, 5 – i, 6 – d, 7 – j, 8 – f, 9 – b, 10 – a|
C. Listen to the paragraph and fill in the blanks.
The 2015 South Indian floods resulted from heavy rainfall generated by the annual north east monsoon in November 2015. They affected the Coromandel Coast region of the South Indian states of Tamil Nadu & Andhra Pradesh, and the Union Territory of Puducherry, with Tamil Nadu and the city of Chennai particularly hard-hit. More than 500 people were killed and over 18 lakh people were displaced. With estimates of damages and losses ranging from nearly 200 billion rupees to over 1 trillion rupees, the floods were the costliest to have occurred in 2015, and were among the costliest natural disasters of the year. The flooding has been attributed to the 2014-16 El-Niono event.
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்