Lesson 2.3 Earthquake
Lesson 2.3> Earthquake
- rickety (adj.) : structure or piece of equipment poorly made and likely to collapse
- tremor (n) : a slight earthquake
- devastation (n) : the state of being decayed or destroyed
- haphazardly (adv.) : in a random manner
- debris (n) : scattered pieces of rubbish or remains
- whiteshrouded (v) : wrap or dress (a body) in a shroud for burial
- pyres (n) : a heap of burnable material, for burning a corpse as part of a funeral ceremony
A. Fill in the blanks with words from the text.
1. The name of the narrator is _______
Ans : Brij
2. There were _______ villages in the valley.
Ans : six hundred and seventy
3. Brij went to Pauri to buy his _______
Ans : school books
4. The soldiers had set up a _______
Ans : makeshift camp
5. Bhuli had been buried under the debris for _______ hours
Ans : a hundred and sixteen
B. Based on your understanding of the story, choose the right answers from the options.
1. Brij started a tea shop because he wanted to
- start a company.
- serve the people.
- go on a pilgrimage.
- become a tour guide.
Ans : serve the people.
2. Molthi was completely devastated because of _______
- a high intensity earthquake.
- thunder and hail storm.
- drought and famine.
- flash floods.
Ans : a high intensity earthquake.
3. The brother searched everywhere and looked dejected because
- he couldn’t find his house.
- he couldn’t locate his sister.
- he was hungry and didn’t eat for a few days.
- he lost his school books.
Ans : he couldn’t locate his sister.
4. The boy had great reverence and respect for Army offi cers as they
- were brave and courageous.
- worked day and night
- saved his sister from death.
- all the above.
Ans : all the above.
5. Brij finally offered the traveller a
- cup of milk
- cup of tea
- glass of water
- cup of coffee
Ans : cup of tea
B. Answer the following questions based on the reading of the story. Do not forget to go back to the passage whenever necessary to fi nd and confirm the answers.
|While you warm yourself||I will prepare the best tea.|
|I saved enough money||I started this shop|
|The earth quaked||Six hundred and two villages were destroyed.|
|It was a terrible earth quake and it was felt||as far away as Delhi and Lucknow|
|I ran back to the village||There was still so much debris|
|They lifted the door||She is alive|
|I went to thank the Army Officer||But he was gone|
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்