Lesson.3 The Magic Pencil
Lesson.3.3> Secret of Success – The Magic Pencil
A. Choose the best answer.
1. Chris enjoyed doing all sorts of things except, writing and ________.
Ans : art
2. One day Chris tried to draw a ________.
Ans : circle
3. Pencil asked him to draw _________.
- pair of eyes
- pair of ears
Ans : pair of eyes
4. Draw me some hair, quickly, I look like a ________.
Ans : lollipop
5. Before going to bed that night, Chris gave his new teacher a _______.
- hearty thanks
- costly pen
- a ring
Ans : hearty thanks
B. Answer the following questions.
1. What was the truth finally learned by Chris?
He learnt fact he should try to do a bit better than the previous attempt.
2. How can we do our work better?
We can do our work better by trying it again and again and enjoy it while doing so.
3. Why did he rub the circle again and again?
He rubbed the circle again and again because he had learnt that.
4. Why was Chris worried?
Chris was worried as he did not know if he had spent the previous afternoon talking with the little man or whether he was dreaming all of it.
5. What is the one thing you will try and improve after reading the story? How?
I will never give up. I will try again and again if I fail in any of my attempts. I will do it again and again until it is right.
1. What is the maximum amount of time Chris spent in drawing?
Chris never spent more than 10 minutes in drawing.
2. What did he try to draw?
He tried to draw a little man
Let Us Read Aloud
A. Read the passage 3 times and colour the medal for each time.
The school was decorated for the Annual Sports Day. The children came to the running track to cheer the runners. The next event was 800 meters running. Megala was in the race. She wanted to win the race, but the other runners were district and divisional winners. The race started. All had to finish two laps. At the end of the first lap, Megala was in the fifth place. Suddenly, she fell on the ground. Everyone ran to help her. But before that she got up and started to run. All children and teachers cheered her. She had come last, but the headmaster gave her a special prize.
Answer the following questions.
1. What was the event Megala participated?
It was 800 metres running
2. Why did everyone support Megala?
Before everyone went to help Megala, she got up on her own and started to run. So everyone supported Megala.
3. What is the main idea of the story?
Even if we fall, we should not give up, we should fight until last breath. This is the main idea of the story.
4. Why did the head master give Megala a special prize?
The headmaster gave Megala a special prize because she got up without anyone’s help and completed her run.
Let Us Write
|Once a cap seller slept under the tree.||The monkeys came down and took all the caps.|
|They wore the hats and started making fun of him by imitating him.||He threw his cap down and the monkeys also did so. Finally he collected his caps and went away happily.|
Let us learn how to write a story using picture boards.
- Step 1: Look at the picture and find the characters.
- Step 2: Look at the picture and find what they are doing.
- Step 3: Write it in a simple sentence.
- Step 4: Repeat the steps as many times as you want.
Yes, it is that easy to write our own story. Do you want to try?
Complete the following picture board.
|Once a Crane lived near a pond.||It promised fishes and a crab to take them to a new place as the present pond is going to dry. The creatures believed its words. But it ate all the fishes while travelling to the new pond.|
|It told the truth to crab when it was flying.||The crab bit the neck of crane and the crane died.|
I Can Do
A. Choose the correct option.
1. The child got an ________ for winning the race.
Ans : award
2. I got ________ to see his favourite heroine.
Ans : chance
B. Match with the opposite gender.
|1. prince||a. bridegroom|
|2. hero||b. princes|
|3. bride||c. heroine|
|Ans : 1 – a, 2 – c, 3 – b|
C. Write the correct word.
D. Recite the poem Never give up with correct intonation.
E. Match the rhyming words.
|1. earn||a. day|
|2. fend||b. learn|
|3. glow||c. end|
|4. play||d. slow|
|Ans : 1 – b, 2 – c, 3 – d, 4 – a|
F. Fill in the blanks with present continuous tense of the given word.
a. They ___________ (eat) their breakfast.
Ans : are eating
b. He _____________ (read) a news paper.
Ans : is reading
C. Bharathi ____________ (write) his home work.
Ans : is writing