Lesson.1 Vedic Culture in North India and Megalithic Culture in South India
Lesson.1 Vedic Culture and Megalithic Culture
I. Choose the Correct answer
1. Aryans first settled in ________________ region.
- Middle Gangetic
- North east
Ans : Punjab
2. Aryans came from____________.
- North Asia
- Central Asia
Ans : Punjab
3. Our National Motto “Sathyameva Jayate” is taken from __________.
Ans : Upanishad
4. What was the ratio of land revenue collected during Vedic Age
Ans : 1/6
II. Match the Statement with the Reason/Tick the appropriate answer:
1. Assertion : The vedic age is evidenced by good number of texts and adequate amount of material evidences.
Reason: Shrutis comprise the Vedas, the Brahmanas, the Aranyakas and the Upanishads.
- Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A.
- Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A.
- A is true but R is false.
- A is false but R is true.
Ans : A is false but R is true.
2. Statement I : Periplus mentions the steel imported into Rome from peninsular India was subjected to duty in the port of Alexandria.
Statement II : Evidences for iron smelting has come to light at Paiyampalli.
- Statement I is wrong.
- Statement II is wrong.
- Both the statements are correct.
- Both the statements are wrong.
Ans : Both the statements are correct.
3. Which of the statement is not correct in the Vedic society
- A widow could re-marry.
- Child marriage was in practice.
- Father’s property was inherited by his son.
- Sati was unknown.
Ans : Child marriage was in practice.
4. Which is the correct ascending order of the Rig Vedic society?
- Grama ˂ Kula ˂ Vis ˂ Rashtra ˂ Jana
- Kula ˂ Grama ˂ Vis ˂ Jana ˂ Rashtra
- Rashtra ˂ Jana ˂ Grama ˂ Kula ˂ Vis
- Jana ˂ Grama ˂ Kula ˂ Vis ˂ Rashtra
Ans : Kula ˂ Grama ˂ Vis ˂ Jana ˂ Rashtra
III. Fill in the blanks
1. Vedic culture was ____________ in nature.
Ans : kinship
2. ____________ was a tax collected from the people in Vedic period.
Ans : Bali
3. ____________ system is an ancient learning method.
Ans : Gurukula
4. Adhichanallur is in ___________________district.
Ans : Thoothukudi
IV. True or False
1. The Roman artefacts found at various sites provide the evidence of Indo – Roman trade relations.
Ans : True
2. A Hero Stone is a memorial stone raised in remembrance of the honourable death of a hero.
Ans : True
3. The army chief was called Gramani.
Ans : False
4. The Black and Red ware pottery became the characteristic of the Megalithic period.
Ans : True
5. Evidence for iron smelting has come to light at paiyampalli
Ans : True
III. Match the following:
|1. Keezhadi||Ivory dice|
|2. Porunthal||tip of ploughs|
|4. Adichanallur||gold ornaments|
|Ans : 1 – C, 2 – A, 3 – D, 4 – B|
VI. Answer in one or two sentences:
1. Name the four Vedas.
The four Vedas are Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharva.
2. What were the animals domesticated by Vedic people?
3. What do you know about Megalith?
The term ‘Megalith’ is derived from Greek. ‘Megas’ means great and ‘lithos’ means stone. Using big stone slabs built upon the places of burial is known as Megalith.
4. What are Dolmens?
- Dolmens are Megalithic tombs.
- They are made of two or more upright stones with a single stone lying across the burial site.
5. What are Urns?
Urns are large pottery jars used for burying the dead.
6. Name the coins used for business transactions in the Vedic period.
- Satmana (gold)
- Krishnala (silver)
7. Name some Megalithic monuments found in Tamil Nadu.
Dolmens are Megalithic tombs. Megalithic Dolmens have been found in Veeraraghavapuram village, Kanchipuram district, Kummalamaruthupatti, Dindigul, district, and in Narasingampatti, Madurai district.
VII. Answer the following :
1. Write briefly about the archaeological site at Kodumanal.
- Kodumanal is in Erode district.
- Kodumanal is identified with the Kodumanam of Pathitrupathu.
- More than 300 pottery inscriptions in Tamil Brahmi have been discovered.
- Spindles, whorls, piece of cloth, tools, weapons, ornaments, and beads have been discovered.
- A Menhir was found at the burial site.
2. Write about the Vedic women in a paragraph.
- In Rig Vedic society, women relatively enjoyed some freedom.
- The wife was respected as the mistress of the household.
- She could perform rituals in her house.
- In Rig Vedic period widows could remarry.
- But they were denied to inherit parental property.
- They played no role in public affairs.
- In the later Vedic period women’s position declined, demand to perform rituals and marriage rules became more rigid.
- Polygamy became common, and women were denied education