Lesson 1.3 Think To Win
Lesson 1.3 > Think To Win
A. Choose the correct answer.
1. “Girls you are a good team.” Which team do the girls belong to?
Ans : Relay
2. Springfields is the name of a ________
Ans : team
3. The inter-school sports meet refers to competitions among the _______
- teams of the same school
- schools in the locality
- schools in neighborhood
- schools from other districts
Ans : schools in neighborhood
4. Seema is Rucha’s _______
- younger sister
Ans : younger sister
5. Order the names of the members in Team B relay event. Shabnum was followed by
- Neelam, Aruna, Rucha
- Aruna, Rucha ,Neelam
- Neelam, Rucha, Aruna
- Aruna, Neelam, Rucha
Ans : Neelam, Aruna, Rucha
B. Answer the Following.
1. How does Rucha differ from her sister?
Rucha was very protective but her sister was bold and prone to taking risks.
2. ‘Springfields has a runner and they call her P.T. Usha’. Why did they call her so?
The girl in Springfields team is a fast runner like a retired Indian athelete P.T.Usha. So they call her P.T.Usha.
3. Describe the qualities of the new P.T. Instructor Mr. Prakash.
Prakash sir motivating and encouraging the girls really. He gave right practice and useful instructions to the girls.
4. What words were ringing in Rucha’s ears when she was running in the relay?
“Think to win” were the words ringing in Rucha’s ear in the relay.
5. What did Rucha finally realise about herself?
Rucha had overcome her hesitation and denials. This is what she realized herself.
C. Read the given lines and answer the questions.
1. His voice came from some distance away and, Rucha realized that he was not holding the bicycle any more. “I will fall! I will fall!” she wailed.
a)What was she afraid of?
She was afraid of ‘falling down’.
b) Was the boy closely following her?
No, the boy was not closely following her.
2. For the past two weeks he had been teaching her to ride.
a) Who was teaching whom?
Vishnu was teaching Rucha.
b) What was he teaching?
He was teaching her to ride a bicycle.
3. Even ‘P.T. Usha’ came to shake her hand. “I thought I was fast, but you were simply superb!” she shook hands with her.
a) Who does the word ‘you’ refer to?
The word ‘you’ refers to Rucha.
b) What quality of the speaker is revealed?
The speaker is very open-hearted and has an attitude of respecting other’s victory.
D. Think and answer.
Imagine you are Rucha and make a diary entry on your feelings about the day’s happening and your victory. The start is given. Complete the diary.
|This victory taught me a lot. I realized my own nature. I had overcome my hesitation and denials. I could realize one more thing. That is team work. The co-operation of my friends Shabnum, Neelam and Aruna led our victory.
I would never forget this day in my life.
E. Discuss in class. (Paragraph)
How did she (Rucha) overcome self-doubts? How can shyness and fear be overcome?
Rucha was very protective. She seldom did things rashly. Even in running and playing, She would be more conscious of her movements. She was pessimistic. She was encouraged by her mother when she found faults everything. Her classmate Aruna also gave her best comfort and motivating words at the time of her dejection. Above all, her P.T. instructor Prakash sir gave her more attention in sports. He gave her more practice. He motivated her saying ‘Think to win’. These are the words ringing in Rucha’s ears at the time of her final race. She was conscious of nothing except the tape at the finishing line. She realized her potential only after the victory. Thus the motivation and encouragement of her well-wishers and her spirit made her overcome her self-doubts, shyness and her fear.
Paragraph for slow learners
- Rucha was very protective and pessimistic.
- She was encouraged by her mother when she found faults everything.
- Her classmate Aruna also supported her at times.
- And her P.T. instructor Prakash sir gave her more attention in sports.
- He motivated her saying ‘Think to win’.
- These encouraged her to overcome her self-doubts, shyness and her fear.
F. Role play
- Work in groups and enact the story. Select the character you are going to impersonate.
|Rucha – School girl
Vishnu- trainer boy
Seema – Rucha’s Sister
Aruna – Rucha’s friend
Shabnam and Neelam – Rucha’s friends
Prakash Sir – PT instructor
Select the character you are going to impersonate. Read the story carefully. Prepare your dialogue. Co-ordinate with your group. Present your skit to the class.
STEPS TO SUCCESS
Identify the sport name from the given wuzzles. One is done for you.
|Athletics||Tennis Match||Ice Skating|
|Cross Country||Base Ball||Triathlon|
Find the odd one out.
- Weight lifting, Boxing, Silambam, Fencing – Weight lifting
- Hide and Seek, Kho-Kho, Tennikoit, Kabaddi – Tennikoit
- Badminton, Cycling, Tennis, Squash – Cycling
- Trapeze, Throw Ball ,Bowling, Goalball – Trapeze
- Snooker, Polo, Five Pins, Carrom Board – Polo
- Cricket, Base Ball, Hockey, Basket Ball – Basket Ball
சில பயனுள்ள பக்கங்கள்